Loud rear axle normal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Loud rear axle normal

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 12-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Vaj

Loud rear axle normal

I was checking out a 93 Cherokee yesterday and something I noticed while driving it around was that the rear axle was quite loud. The owner had the axle replaced with a used rear axle a few months ago. The owner told me that he noticed the noise more after the axle was replaced. Is it pretty normal to hear noise from it inside the cabin?

Vaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
XJohnnyC

The used rear axle could have a bad axle bearing or pinion bearing. But check to see if it's got gear oil in it.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What does it sound like? I had a hard spot in a brake drum and it sounded like I had an owl on my rear axle. It kinda' made a hoo-hoo-hoo noise.
Unread 12-11-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
Vaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
What does it sound like? I had a hard spot in a brake drum and it sounded like I had an owl on my rear axle. It kinda' made a hoo-hoo-hoo noise.
It's basically just a lower pitched hum that raises and lowers with vehicle speed. It wasn't an overwhelming noise or anything, but I'm also not used to driving a Jeep at all, and they seem to be fairly noisy in the cabin anyways. It may be nothing, but if I end up buying it I'll be getting a mech. inspection done and I'll get them to check it out. Thanks for the replies.
Unread 12-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you're not used to a Cherokee, it may be a normal sound. They do tend to make a little more noise that the average car. Really though, use your best judgement, if something sounds obviously wrong, don't buy it. There are plenty of XJs out there, just keep shopping. The right one will find you.
Unread 12-17-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
Vaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
If you're not used to a Cherokee, it may be a normal sound. They do tend to make a little more noise that the average car. Really though, use your best judgement, if something sounds obviously wrong, don't buy it. There are plenty of XJs out there, just keep shopping. The right one will find you.
Well I had it checked out and there are some serious problems in the rear end. The repairs added up to over $2300!!(A few minor repairs to the rest of the truck included) The search goes on............
Unread 12-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
ki1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaj
Well I had it checked out and there are some serious problems in the rear end. The repairs added up to over $2300!!(A few minor repairs to the rest of the truck included) The search goes on............
You could buy a whole new rear end for less than that
Unread 12-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
XJohnnyC

Yeah, can you break down that $2300 for us? Curious minds want to know.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
98SportDrvr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

....... for a rearend fix??? what you do, go to the dealer for a quote? i would definitly put money on the pinion bearing being worn out or bad for that sound. mine has a nice little wine on acceleration and coasting that gets worse some days and less on others. i know what it is and know what caused it. rebuilt my rearend bout a year and a half ago and bout 3 weeks later it started. if ya don't set that thing up just right or dont break it in properly(yes there is a proper way to wear in the diff) it will start premature wear which will stay till ya fix it. trust me if that shop wants 2300+- for that fix tell them where they can put that estimate... any reputable offroad shop can redo a diff for a lot less/ up to a grand..

oh yea and 2300 bux for a fix they are gonna charge ya for new seals, an arse load of labor and maby a new bearing or two. and if they really wanna rip you off they will tell you the ring and pinion need replacing because the bearing were bad and the gears are now worn out(BS!!!).. they will screw ya in nothing flat.
Unread 12-19-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
Vaj

It was around 1300 in parts + 13 hours in labor at $75 an hour. There was a few things like a new thermostat, some pitman arm?, and ebrake piece, a wobbling rear tire, and something else included as well.

Just to be clear, no one was being ripped off here. This was a pre-purchase inspection. Nobody was forced into getting this stuff done. The guy took a guess at what was wrong with the rear end, and gave an estimate.
Unread 12-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
lockinup

I bought my 93 xj for $2000. Still runs fine.
lockinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaj
It was around 1300 in parts + 13 hours in labor at $75 an hour. There was a few things like a new thermostat, some pitman arm?, and ebrake piece, a wobbling rear tire, and something else included as well.
Just to be clear, no one was being ripped off here. This was a pre-purchase inspection. Nobody was forced into getting this stuff done. The guy took a guess at what was wrong with the rear end, and gave an estimate.
Thats highway robbery man! Ask someone on here how long it takes to swap an axle on an XJ, and they will tell you half a day with the right tools.. And the shop has the right tools, plus a lift. Thats total BS. Did you take it to a Jeep dealer? If so thats why.. Definatly keep looking.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.