loud popping noise from front side xj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > loud popping noise from front side xj

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
kgovan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnasty View Post
Check the front and rear brakes. I know, you said its coming from the front, but noises can transfer pretty easily and make it sound like its coming from the opposite end. If the brakes dont apply near the top of the brake pedal stroke you may have rear brake issues because the rear adjustment sets the pedal height. If that checks out, my next guess would be the upper control arm bushings. I re-read your post: Make sure the jam nuts on the lower control arms are tight as well
ill take the rear brakes off tomorrow and look at them, my front rotors and pads were smoked. i can only imagine the rear... i was thinking maybe the upper control arms, i figured if i replace something i might as well upgrade it. i just had it aligned so i know the jam nuts are torqued and tight

kgovan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
kgovan32

differential fluid was low i replaced it and now i dont hear the spining sound anymore, i still hear the popping but it sounds to be coming from the UCA's, also the rear drum brake pads are smoked, the pads are cracked on each side so sometime today or tomorrow i'll replace them and give an update. thank to everyone for the help, this one is for you

ill give an update soon in the next few days to see if the problems are corrected
kgovan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my XJ made a similar noise in reverse when the sway bar bushings that attach to the frame across the front went bad (not the bushings that attach to the axle). They didn't feel loose but the rubber was deformed and cracked. In reverse, the front of the body drops slightly and causes the sway bar to jam against the frame making an annoying clunking sound. hope this is your issue as it is about as easy and cheap of a fix as there is....Good Luck
My Pics
"life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it"...F. Bueller
artboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.