loud popping noise from front side xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > loud popping noise from front side xj

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
kgovan32

loud popping noise from front side xj

I've been having a loud popping noise in the front right and left side whenever i'm braking in reverse, and sometimes normal braking. Doesn't do it while i turn and its more of a noise compared to a bad u-joint. i had a u-joint go out on me before so i know what that feels like but this is totally seperate feeling, i was thinkin blown shock i do have a 3.5" lift and horrible pro comp shocks on it. could that cause the problem?

also i have a really light metal sound coming from front right, sound like a loose cotter pin, could that be the u-joint?

i appreciate the help

kgovan32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
kgovan32

also, i replaced LCA's with adjustable ones(Rubicon Express), adj. track bar(RE), ball joints (dana&spicer), hope that helps
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
kgovan32

also its a 89 xj 4wd solid axles
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check your axle side trackbar mount. Make sure the bolt isn't loose and make sure the hole isn't wallowed out.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
kgovan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Check your axle side trackbar mount. Make sure the bolt isn't loose and make sure the hole isn't wallowed out.
it was loose but i tightened it and it's still happening, i was doing some research and some said low diff. fluid so ima try that and ill let you guys know. cause i guarantee if it happens to me it's gonna happen to other people hah
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
jcooklock
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I bet that if it was loose that it gonna be wallowed out, especially if you drove with it loose. Did you check that along with tightening it?
by JDNightFox - The terminal velocity of the square headlights is directionally preportional to the force of gravity decelerating the front wheels while the alternator is spinning at 3000 rpm's, minus the friction of the bumper pushing against the airflow with the 13 volt current the steering column is using during the time the vacuum motor is disengaged, but the mirrors must be directionally angled from the driver's window because the hood latches deflect the light refractioning down through the Nitrogen coat on the hood.
jcooklock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
kgovan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcooklock View Post
I bet that if it was loose that it gonna be wallowed out, especially if you drove with it loose. Did you check that along with tightening it?
ya i only drove about 7-8 miles with it loose and it was still sharp
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Can you replicate it by turning the wheel by hand with the front end on jack stands? I had a similar noise from the front passenger side, took off my caliper and found one of the bolts had sheared off in the steering knuckle.
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
kgovan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysirsalad View Post
Can you replicate it by turning the wheel by hand with the front end on jack stands? I had a similar noise from the front passenger side, took off my caliper and found one of the bolts had sheared off in the steering knuckle.
ive tried that, there has to be weight on it
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:32 AM   #10
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Wheel bearings?
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Macnasty
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check the sway bar end links. If they arent loose, look for surface rust around the head of all the suspension fasteners, thats normally a good indication that theres some movement.
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
kgovan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybooster2 View Post
Wheel bearings?
i replaced both wheel hubs
Unread 05-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
kgovan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnasty View Post
Check the sway bar end links. If they arent loose, look for surface rust around the head of all the suspension fasteners, thats normally a good indication that theres some movement.
i'ma go check em right now and let you know. it sounds like its coming from down low but you never know
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
kgovan32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnasty View Post
sway bar is tight and no rust, im honestly at a loss with this and i like to believe im atleast a decent mechanic... ha...
Unread 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Macnasty
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check the front and rear brakes. I know, you said its coming from the front, but noises can transfer pretty easily and make it sound like its coming from the opposite end. If the brakes dont apply near the top of the brake pedal stroke you may have rear brake issues because the rear adjustment sets the pedal height. If that checks out, my next guess would be the upper control arm bushings. I re-read your post: Make sure the jam nuts on the lower control arms are tight as well

Tags
brake , cherokee , pop , shock , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.