LOUD POP!!! when i turn the wheel sharp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > LOUD POP!!! when i turn the wheel sharp

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
powerman330

LOUD POP!!! when i turn the wheel sharp

This is a question i have been trying to figure out for a long time. When i turn the steering wheel sharp to the left or the right when i am moving very slow like gettin into a parking spot or out of one etc.. i hear a really loud pop in the suspension and i can't tell what it is. could it be my coils shifting? i have no clue. everything looks normal underneath. anyone have the same problem?

99 Cherokee Sport 4.0l, Rusty's 3" full leaf pack lift with 1 3/4" spacers up front, Tera Flex SYE with Tom woods CV shaft, RE adjustable track bar, Rusty's 4.5" LCA's, 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/Ts.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/816481
powerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check the trackbar and any other steering component. Nothing should wiggle if you grab onto it and try to shake it. While your under there, have someone turn the wheel back and forth and see if you can see what's going on.

Also make sure you are in 2wd. If you are in 4wd part time it's your t-case binding and you could end up with some serious problems if that happens often while on pavement.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Brandon11130

its your trackbar, its loose. tighten up the end of it, (the tie rod end looking thing at the top near the coil) make sure you put the wire thing in or else it will loosen up again.

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
tvisXJ
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I had a simular problem and it turned out to be the tie-rod end. $20 part for me + alignment. Have someone shake the wheel back and forth for u in the Jeep while u inspect the front suspension/steering for play. That's how I solved my prob. HTH

~T

Edit: Beat by 2 other posters
Unread 05-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
Atari.fan3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

did you check the tie rod end grease fitting?

Edit: tvisXJ you beat me to it
C 4X4 front tow hooks; Rear Hatch Speakers; Painted Fenders Flares; herculined floor; Back-Up lights inside bumper
My car Domain Page
Atari.fan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
powerman330

i will definitly get under there and take a look at it tomorrow. i just would freakin hate to have it get aligned again i have already had the thing aligned 4 times in the past 1 1/2 haha my dad is startin to get sick of it thinkin i am wastin my money. alright thanks guys for the quick replys.
99 Cherokee Sport 4.0l, Rusty's 3" full leaf pack lift with 1 3/4" spacers up front, Tera Flex SYE with Tom woods CV shaft, RE adjustable track bar, Rusty's 4.5" LCA's, 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/Ts.
Unread 05-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Atari.fan3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerman330
i will definitly get under there and take a look at it tomorrow. i just would freakin hate to have it get aligned again i have already had the thing aligned 4 times in the past 1 1/2 haha my dad is startin to get sick of it thinkin i am wastin my money. alright thanks guys for the quick replys.
you can do an alignment your self

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
C 4X4 front tow hooks; Rear Hatch Speakers; Painted Fenders Flares; herculined floor; Back-Up lights inside bumper
My car Domain Page
Atari.fan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
tvisXJ
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari.fan3000
did you check the tie rod end grease fitting?

Edit: tvisXJ you beat me to it
lol, too many ppl replying at the same time.
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
powerman330

now if i need to get a new tie rod should i just buy one that fits the grand cherokee? because i have heard that they are much beefier.
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Rampage94

check you hubs!
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #11
andrew2516

Sorry to hijack...

I've been having the same exact problem...and when I have someone turn the wheel left and right while its sitting...I have a clanking noise coming directly from the steering box...think my steering box could be bad?

36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
andrew2516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #12
gregmondro

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerman330
now if i need to get a new tie rod should i just buy one that fits the grand cherokee? because i have heard that they are much beefier.
thatd be the tie rod itself (the long bar that attaches the wheels together steering wise. The tie rod ends are something different.

and yeah, the v8 ZJ tie rod is an upgrade to a XJ one.
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #13
AznDrgn

Check your U-joints, a little pop is normal at full lock.
'83 Porsche 944 2.5L - Sold
'78 Porsche 924NA 2.0L - RIP
AznDrgn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #14
powerman330

well i wouldn't really call it a little pop...its loud enough that people that are riding with me or people outside the jeep walking by actually turn to see what the heck that noise was..
Unread 05-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
dsarraf

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got the same noise. Mainly when I turn left always from the drivers side. I can't figure it out. I do know that I have to tighten my streering between the pitman arm and the steering wheel.
dsarraf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.