Loud clanking sound from under my Jeep... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Loud clanking sound from under my Jeep...

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Soas1survive

Loud clanking sound from under my Jeep...

So, I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited V8. Recently had some differential problems, so I have been lifting it up an awful lot. Not more than a month ago I replaced the front and rear right wheel bearings. That's how I found out about the differential. Drove it for about a month longer. The grinding got ridiculous so I decided to have the U-joints replaced then took it to shop for the big rear end rebuild. Problem is after lifting the damn thing a few times before having the rebuild a new sound started. It was a clanking from under the truck. It takes a certain amount of driving to get the clanking started and it seems to happen only when the gas pedal is not being pressed and I'm coasting. I told the shop about the sound prior to putting it in, but since the sound was only occasional they said that they could only work on what they knew was making the noise they heard. Today is Saturday. I'm obviously taking it back to them since the rebuild is guaranteed. That will be on Monday when they open back up. I'd appreciate some suggestions about what I should tell them to look at if they can't hear the sound. The sound is loud and hard enough that I can feel it in the pedal when I drive. Also, it only started after we lifted all four wheels to listen to the differential. BTW, the differential is fine now. And the truck has no engine problems. 180,000 miles.

Last edited by Soas1survive; 09-03-2011 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: To add info
Soas1survive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , clicking noise , differential , driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.