Losing Coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Losing Coolant

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Losing Coolant

OK. Last week I noticed my 2000 XJ was running hotter then normal in traffic. I checked the radiator and ended up adding about a gallon and a half of 50/50. Everything great.

Tonight I notice the same thing. Checked the radiator and end up putting in just under a gallon of 50/50. I have no leaks that I can see. At work I park on a painted hangar floor and never see anything leaking. No indication that is is a head gasket either. Runs great and no water in the oil.

Also, tonight when I checked my radiator, I checked the cap and it was cold. This after driving 15 miles mostly in stop and go traffic.

Am I missing something? Should I pressure test the system?

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i think ppl are stealing your coolant..

you could have a bad headgasket and are burning it.. check your oil. and try the pressure test

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

lifted92xj is correct. It's going somewhere.

Any sweet smelling white smoke coming from your tailpipe? Check your oil for anything milky and a high level on the dipstick. You can have the coolant sniffed for the presence of hydrocarbons as well and yes, DEFINITELY pressure test your system. My money is on a bad headgasket sorry to say....

It may be worth looking at your spark plugs, if one is much cleaner than the others that's a surefire coolant leak cleaning it.

Good luck and post back what you find.

P.S. Your 2000 has heads that are more prone to problems as well.....they started using a different head in post 1999 XJs which I believe that some people have trouble with cracking. Keep that in mind. I believe the number on those heads is the 0331.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
83iS
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with the other two gentlemen above me, check your oil for a milky look, and check your coolant for the smell of oil or the presence of oil in your coolant. On my '98 coolant was disappearing slowly and i had a sweet smell of coolant from the front of the jeep, for the life of me i could not find the leak. So when i replaced the belt i found that the coolant neck was seeping coolant not enough to drip on the ground but enough to run down the block and cover the underside of the motor and drivetrain. Just a thought.

Kyle
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I have no oil in my coolant, no coolant in my oil. Checked last night while it idled for a while at home and no sweet smell from the tail pipe.

I will check for possible seeping leaks, pressure test and check plugs this weekend.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
MUDBOG101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

also another way to check is to let you jeep sit and idle for like 10 mins, and then pull you oil filler cap off and if there is condensation on the bottom of the cap then thats a good indication of a blown headgasket, doesnt acctually mean that its blown but that would lean me more towards a blown headgasket.
MUDBOG101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

To date on my 2000, I have had two coolant leaks. First was the radiator in July, where the plastic meets the aluminum. Second was the hose clamps, I replaced the hoses and clamps when I replaced the radiator and didn't get the clamp at the bottom of the water pump and the clamp on the top of the thermostat housing totally snug. Now no leaks!
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
jeepfever87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did the same thing for a few months and it ended up being the headgasket. I was shocked because i didn't see any signs either until it completely gave out.
I would get it checked out before it causes any damage like mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeegrrl
What's the point in having adjustable headrests if ya strap them down? (It's like a girl doing that to her um ... dubble_D's. )
jeepfever87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mine's got a small leak now on the lower rad hose where it meets the water pump....nothing major and it seems to have settled down a bit but you can still smell the coolant outside while it's idling.
C4x4 Front Tow Hooks/Rear Hidden Hitch[/CENTER][/SIZE]
xjguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

revisted

I am still having to add coolant/water. I went on a long trip this last weekend (about 350 miles round trip) and ended up adding a bit over a gallon at my destination and about 1.5 gallons when I got home.

I just had the collant system pressure tested and they also did a test to see if there are any combustion gases in the coolant. Everything came out good.
This is a reputable shop I have used on numerous occasions in the past. They are scratching their heads.

Could it possible that any leak is a one way leak, i.e. water going out the tailpipe and no gases getting in? Should I remove the head and check for cracks?

I have been dealing with this issue but with better weather means more use. I don't want to get stuck in the middle of a wheeling trip when something really goes wrong.

Anyone have anymore thoughts?

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, I'm stealing this photo from someone else's thread, and they had a totally different problem But it illustrates where I had my coolant leak perfectly.

The bracket the dude is pointing at wore a hole through the metal trans cooler line that is right bellow his finger there. It would only leak coolant when I was driving, and only when the engine was hot enough. Also, the location of the line meant the coolant would fall right out the bottom of the car and there was absolutely no trace of coolant in the engine compartment. It took me months to figure out where it was coming from. So maybe you could be having the same problem? Good luck!

CharlieMopps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
craminator66
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr View Post
I am still having to add coolant/water. I went on a long trip this last weekend (about 350 miles round trip) and ended up adding a bit over a gallon at my destination and about 1.5 gallons when I got home.

I just had the collant system pressure tested and they also did a test to see if there are any combustion gases in the coolant. Everything came out good.
This is a reputable shop I have used on numerous occasions in the past. They are scratching their heads.

Could it possible that any leak is a one way leak, i.e. water going out the tailpipe and no gases getting in? Should I remove the head and check for cracks?

I have been dealing with this issue but with better weather means more use. I don't want to get stuck in the middle of a wheeling trip when something really goes wrong.

Anyone have anymore thoughts?
I have a 2000 also and I just had this problem a week and a half ago. I couldn't find any leaks but I had to keep putting coolant in. There is air trapped inside your radiator and you have to burp it. What you should try is let your jeep cool down, then take off the radiator cap and start your jeep. Pour coolant directly into the radiator (not the overflow bottle) until it is full. It will start to get hot and release the air bubbles and that will drop the coolant back down. After all of the air is released you can turn off your jeep and then put the cap back on. Mine has not been leaking since.

Hope that works for you!

-Randy
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craminator66 View Post
I have a 2000 also and I just had this problem a week and a half ago. I couldn't find any leaks but I had to keep putting coolant in. There is air trapped inside your radiator and you have to burp it. What you should try is let your jeep cool down, then take off the radiator cap and start your jeep. Pour coolant directly into the radiator (not the overflow bottle) until it is full. It will start to get hot and release the air bubbles and that will drop the coolant back down. After all of the air is released you can turn off your jeep and then put the cap back on. Mine has not been leaking since.

Hope that works for you!

-Randy
I have done this several times. With the jeep level and nose up.

Thanks for the response.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #14
Hella00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah well I am also having the same problem as we speak. I need to add coolant to my overflow bottle once about every month. Dont know where its going either. I did get it pressure tested and it did drop from 15 lbs to 14 lbs but I couldn't see any leaking coolant or anything. I think I did hear something coming from below the intake though. It was hard to tell need to get it checked again.
Hella00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #15
jonesXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr View Post
OK. Last week I noticed my 2000 XJ was running hotter then normal in traffic. I checked the radiator and ended up adding about a gallon and a half of 50/50. Everything great.

Tonight I notice the same thing. Checked the radiator and end up putting in just under a gallon of 50/50. I have no leaks that I can see. At work I park on a painted hangar floor and never see anything leaking. No indication that is is a head gasket either. Runs great and no water in the oil.

Also, tonight when I checked my radiator, I checked the cap and it was cold. This after driving 15 miles mostly in stop and go traffic.

Am I missing something? Should I pressure test the system?
All of that is indication of a cracked head or a blown gasket. Just had the same problem my self, and ended up finding out the head and gasket were bad. Good Luck

[B]Suspension[/B]
TeraFlex 2in. BB

[B]Axles[/B]
DANA 30 3.55
DANA 35 3.55

[B]Sitting on[/B]
245/75/16 MTRs
Limited Icon Wheels
jonesXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.