Loose Steering and Sliding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Loose Steering and Sliding

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
ngrubich
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Loose Steering and Sliding

My 2000 XJ (3" lift, 31" BFGs; had for several years) has recently started to have a loose steering wheel problem and it feels like I'm almost sliding when going around turns.
I'm getting ready to change out the upper control arms, track bar bushing, and sway bar bushings this weekend as an overhaul project. Is there something else I should look for?

ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like it's in 4WD. Check your T/C linkage.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
ngrubich
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can hear it shifting into 4H and then over into 4L, so I don't think that is the issue (although the linkage bushings are getting kinda old). My t case 4WD switch isn't working, so I'll go grab one from the store so I can figure out if I'm sticking in 4WD and report back.
Unread 03-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If I'm in 4WD and I try a tight turn at low speeds my XJ slides more than it turns.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
ngrubich
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I usually get the sliding at higher speeds, like 10-15mph upwards (like turning onto the on-ramp of a highway). At low speeds (in 4WD), my steering wheel jerks back and forth, but I don't really get any sliding, but then again I haven't really tried to notice it.
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
ngrubich
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update: just replaced the switch on the transfer case and my dash isn't showing that I'm in 4WD; still having the same problem as before (I know the bulb isn't out because the new switch turns the light on on the dash when I move the lever myself).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.