Looking to Lift my 2000 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Looking to Lift my 2000 XJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Wilmingtonite
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking to Lift my 2000 XJ

I'm looking to lift my 2000 xj, right now I'm riding stock. I have some 7' heavy duty leaf springs to put on, but don't know what else I need to complete the lift. Also I'm wondering what the arch is on stock leaf springs and what benefit there is in adding a t-case drop kit.

Wilmingtonite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

7'? 7" lift? Or are you measuring the arch's apex?

7" is fairly extreme for a lift. A T case drop won't help you at all. You will need a slip yoke eliminator.
I did a 3" lift and had pretty bad driveline vibes. A Tcase drop didn't help at all

At 7" you will need a good double shear trackbar with mount, 7"coils, expensive shocks, new brakehoses, long arm suspension in front longer swaybar endlinks and probably a few things I can't think of the smarter guys will chime in on.

Look in the FAQ's at the different lifts. Search Bastard Pack
Also at the bottom of this post there will be suggested searches/threads

Look at my posts under my name on the left I JUST wrote something about my bastardpack 3" lift
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post

At 7" you will need a good double shear trackbar with mount, 7"coils, expensive shocks, new brakehoses, long arm suspension in front longer swaybar endlinks and probably a few things I can't think of the smarter guys will chime in on.
bigger tired (probably at least 35's), re-gear, stronger steering, longer drive shaft in rear, possibly front as well.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How much over stock do you plan on going?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Wilmingtonite
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ha, my bad, 7" is the arch apex, should I return them for something shallower? I only want about a 2 inch lift, and at the time of purchase, I didn't know anything about it and was only trying to beef my suspension to keep it form bottoming out with my gear in it, so I just figured bigger leaf springs would just give it more spring and deter bottoming. So what is the easiest way to get a 2" lift?
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Wilmingtonite
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly, I don't know much about suspension work. What is the arch apex on stock leaf springs?
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmingtonite View Post
Honestly, I don't know much about suspension work. What is the arch apex on stock leaf springs?
If I had to guess, and i am 7"
You also have to factor in the steel quality etc.

Did you buy some mystery leafs?
Unread 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Wilmingtonite
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairlanePhil View Post
If I had to guess, and i am 7"
You also have to factor in the steel quality etc.

Did you buy some mystery leafs?
They're Crown leaf springs, ordered from Morris 4x4.
Unread 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The HD leafs will give a small amount of lift. I got 2" over stock height from them, but results seem to vary between 1" and 2" of lift. You can add them with nothing else and be fine, or you can add them, see how much lift you get and buy a set of coil spacers for the front to match it up. At 2" of lift you can use the stock shocks but they will limit suspension travel offroad. You won't need to change anything else until you go 3" or above.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Where did you get the springs? Any part #'s on them? Staying at 2 in is a good idea as you will avoid driveline issues. You can go cheep or OME makes a good kit. There is a ton of info here on lifting problems, search and read.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

He stated they were the HD crown leafs purchased at morris 4x4. Same thing as the HD leafs from quadratec.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Wilmingtonite
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
You can add them with nothing else and be fine, or you can add them, see how much lift you get and buy a set of coil spacers for the front to match it up. At 2" of lift you can use the stock shocks but they will limit suspension travel offroad. You won't need to change anything else until you go 3" or above.
It looks like stock is about a 5" arch, so sevens should provide the lift I want. Would replacing the shocks as well avoid the limited off-road suspension travel?
Unread 12-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, going with longer shocks will keep them alive and allow maximum flex from your suspension. Running stock shocks on 2" of lift won't hurt anything on the road, but if you disconnect the swaybar offroad they will get flexed out too much and it will blow them out.
Unread 12-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmingtonite View Post
It looks like stock is about a 5" arch, so sevens should provide the lift I want. Would replacing the shocks as well avoid the limited off-road suspension travel?
The amount of arch on an uncompressed leaf spring really means nothing. The amount of lift it will provide once it is under the weight of the jeep would depend on how many leafs, individual leaf thickness, quality of steel, how the metal was tempered, etc etc. Most leaf packs are sold by how much lift they will provide. Call the place you bought them from and ask. Then realize that is a ballpark figure depending on how much your current suspension is sagging and how much weight you carry etc.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , stock suspension , t case , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.