Looking to get into the jeep scene this week, need opinions on this jeep please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Looking to get into the jeep scene this week, need opinions on this jeep please!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
SleeperRedneck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 58
Looking to get into the jeep scene this week, need opinions on this jeep please!

Well i have been looknig at jeepes for quit sometime now and i wnated a grand cherokee but i guess the XJ's have grown on me. Only hting i hate is that they have no room for a 6ft leggy guy like me and they are slow. Here is a link to the one i wantto buy, what do you guys think for 4600 bucks? Thanks again and all imput is helpfull. Now remeebr i am coming from a 99 GTP 3.8 supercharged that ran the best of 13.60 1/4


http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/car/505302369.html

SleeperRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Jeepernick
Registered User
2008 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: vc
Posts: 2,846
Only advice is ... dont rush it, look around and find the best deal... you should know when you found it... and do lots of searching

what are your plans for this jeep? wheelin or mall crawlin? drag racing?

Im 6ft and long legs... so I dont see that being any problem

before you buy it from anyone make them go on a test drive with you and drive it for yourself... show you first hand if you like it or not(maybe you have already driven one)

slow,....? my jeep is on 35s and I keep up with traffic everyday going to work

what is the point of going fast on the street? you like tickets?

Good luck
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
SleeperRedneck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepernick
Only advice is ... dont rush it, look around and find the best deal... you should know when you found it... and do lots of searching

what are your plans for this jeep? wheelin or mall crawlin? drag racing?

Im 6ft and long legs... so I dont see that being any problem

before you buy it from anyone make them go on a test drive with you and drive it for yourself... show you first hand if you like it or not(maybe you have already driven one)

slow,....? my jeep is on 35s and I keep up with traffic everyday going to work

what is the point of going fast on the street? you like tickets?

Good luck
LOL, i have been looking and test driving jeeps for a few months now and people wnat to much for thoseo nes adn i stumbled across this one. I jsut got back from looking at it and driving it and it drives great, not even sloppy steering like some have. No rust at all, alot of preventative maintenece has been done to it if you read the add. Basically it is clean for the money IMO. Newer brakse as well as PS pump, fuel pump, tires, plugs and so fourth so that whats got my attention. Previous owner has had many jeeps b4 but is buying a F-150 now. So............. for 4600 this is the best one i have found, nto even a shimmy at 60mph on this one My plans are not to go too crazy but i know how i can get but i want a nice DD with a little bit of attitude if i and when i go off roading with it ESP since my GF won't take her TITAN offraod
SleeperRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
lost honda pro
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 813
coming from big guys (i'm 6'5" 250 lbs) make sure you get one with a decent driver's seat and TILT WHEEL!

some of the older/base models didnt have tilt, i couldnt get in at all.

that one looks pretty solid, but here's a tidbit about the '00-'01s: many people are going to tell you to stay away from their engines. they have a different casting of cylinder head (#0331) that has a history of cracking when DRASTICALLY overheated. as long as you keep up on maintenance, and don't let it overheat much, you will be fine, and probably get years of enjoyment out of it. (i just got mine 6 months ago, and love it)
lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Dragnz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Laurens, SC
Posts: 363
I am 6'2" 200lbs i fit nicely. When i am wheelin i actually move the seat forward a click or 2 just to have better responce on the pedals. You will fit. Not a bad jeep as to what i can see.
__________________
1991 XJ, 4.0L HO, 3in rustys coils, 3 in. block in rear soon to be replaced, on 33x12.5 , stock dana 30&35 open front and rear

http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/
Dragnz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
SleeperRedneck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnz24
I am 6'2" 200lbs i fit nicely. When i am wheelin i actually move the seat forward a click or 2 just to have better responce on the pedals. You will fit. Not a bad jeep as to what i can see.
It does have an R-title but no frame damage. I am reading the carfax report right now, 3 owners and it started off as a lease vehicle.




Owner 1
Purchased: 2000
Type: Lease
Where: Pennsylvania
Est. miles/year: 24,455/yr
Est. length owned: 4/15/00 - 6/11/02
(2 yrs. 1 mo.)



Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
04/15/2000 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Richboro, PA Registered as
lease vehicle

05/10/2000 25 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Richboro, PA Title or registration issued
First owner reported
Registered as lease vehicle

04/25/2001 17,298 Pennsylvania
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection

05/09/2002 Chrysler Manufacturer Safety recall issued
#B06 INTAKE MANIFOLD DEBRIS SHIELD
Click here for a copy of the owner letter for this Recall or call 1- 800-853-1403 if you have any questions or need additional information on this recall.

06/11/2002 52,750 Auto Auction Sold at auction
in Eastern Region
Listed as
a fleet vehicle





Owner 2
Purchased: 2002
Where: Pennsylvania
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 9/16/02 - 1/19/05
(2 yrs. 4 mo.)



Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
09/16/2002 53,016 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mount Carmel, PA Title issued or updated
New owner reported





Owner 3
Purchased: 2005
Where: Pennsylvania
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 1/19/05 - 11/8/06
(1 yr. 9 mo.)



Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
01/19/2005 80,352 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pittsburgh, PA New owner reported
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED





Owner 4
Purchased: 2006
Where: Pennsylvania
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 11/8/06 - present
(1 yr. 1 mo.)



Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
11/08/2006 80,354 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Manor, PA Vehicle purchase reported
Odometer reading reported for title
or registration

12/07/2006 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Manor, PA New owner reported
REBUILT TITLE ISSUED
SleeperRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Dragnz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Laurens, SC
Posts: 363
k from what i just read it seems as if it was wrecked bad enough the insurance co. totaled the jeep. some one must have notice that it was not going to take much to fix it and did. now here is the key. was it fixed correctly. I have an uncle that owns a body shop and have friends that own other body shops. cars can be fixed and are as good or beter than they were before the wreck. I personaly know of a harly edition f150 that was totaled be cause of a wrecked rocker panal once it was cut out and replace good as new. still had a salvage title on it. no other problems.
__________________
1991 XJ, 4.0L HO, 3in rustys coils, 3 in. block in rear soon to be replaced, on 33x12.5 , stock dana 30&35 open front and rear

http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/
Dragnz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
SleeperRedneck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnz24
k from what i just read it seems as if it was wrecked bad enough the insurance co. totaled the jeep. some one must have notice that it was not going to take much to fix it and did. now here is the key. was it fixed correctly. I have an uncle that owns a body shop and have friends that own other body shops. cars can be fixed and are as good or beter than they were before the wreck. I personaly know of a harly edition f150 that was totaled be cause of a wrecked rocker panal once it was cut out and replace good as new. still had a salvage title on it. no other problems.
I knwo exactly what you mean, i worked in a body shop for years and detailed for years not to mention turned a few wrenches myself, the jeep runs and drives just fine and in a straight line, the frame looks untouched and the parts are all aligined pretty damn good. The ehwole thing was repainted black again becasue the owner is anal like myself, so all in all it does look good. He told me it was a fender, front grill ***,headlight and maybe bumper, no damage to the rad support or frame and he has drivin it 14k since he bought it nad repaired it. His dad and uncle work as mechanics and painters and his uncle repainted it with a single stage dupont black.
SleeperRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
L8 APEKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The OC
Posts: 87
In terms of SUV performance, a 4.0L XJ is "fast." My 2001 is 190hp/220tq, in a 3000lb package (lighter than a VW GTI). It's an SUV, not a sport sedan - the gearing sucks and it's an auto - but the power to weight is quote good compared to many other SUV's.

I know where you're coming from. My daily driver is a 13.2 second 1995 Volvo 940 (2.3L Turbo SOHC 8V, auto).

If you're replacing the GTP with the Jeep, and you're going to miss going fast - don't get the Jeep. The gas mileage is horrible even when driven like al ittle old lady. If you drive it like you're trying to make it feel like your GTP did, expect worse than H2 gas mileage. I wish I was eggagerating. My 2001 *stock* is lucky to hit 17mpg freeway and 14mpg city, driven easy.

With large tires, lift, and a heavy foot...it gets worse.

As far as your size, I'm 6'1" 210, and I fit OK. If I were any taller, I would get something else. XJ's are not roomy...I'm coming out of a Montero that was HUGE on the inside in comparison.

As far as selection of vehicle...if you plan on doing any sort of serious wheeling in the near future, make SURE the XJ you get has an 8.25, or better yet, a D44 rear end. The D35 is notoriously weak and it costs quite a few thousand dollars to make a stock D35 XJ trail-worthy (4.5" kit, 33's, new rear end with locker, sliders...$3k+ range on mods is easy, and that's without any of the extra stuff like lighting, racks, etc).

Good luck!
__________________
-Sean
The OC, California
2001 XJ::naxja.org
L8 APEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
SleeperRedneck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8 APEKS
In terms of SUV performance, a 4.0L XJ is "fast." My 2001 is 190hp/220tq, in a 3000lb package (lighter than a VW GTI). It's an SUV, not a sport sedan - the gearing sucks and it's an auto - but the power to weight is quote good compared to many other SUV's.

I know where you're coming from. My daily driver is a 13.2 second 1995 Volvo 940 (2.3L Turbo SOHC 8V, auto).

If you're replacing the GTP with the Jeep, and you're going to miss going fast - don't get the Jeep. The gas mileage is horrible even when driven like al ittle old lady. If you drive it like you're trying to make it feel like your GTP did, expect worse than H2 gas mileage. I wish I was eggagerating. My 2001 *stock* is lucky to hit 17mpg freeway and 14mpg city, driven easy.

With large tires, lift, and a heavy foot...it gets worse.

As far as your size, I'm 6'1" 210, and I fit OK. If I were any taller, I would get something else. XJ's are not roomy...I'm coming out of a Montero that was HUGE on the inside in comparison.

As far as selection of vehicle...if you plan on doing any sort of serious wheeling in the near future, make SURE the XJ you get has an 8.25, or better yet, a D44 rear end. The D35 is notoriously weak and it costs quite a few thousand dollars to make a stock D35 XJ trail-worthy (4.5" kit, 33's, new rear end with locker, sliders...$3k+ range on mods is easy, and that's without any of the extra stuff like lighting, racks, etc).

Good luck!
Thanks Sean! As far gas goes i htink it would even out or be better with the XJ, seeing is how i have to put 93 in the GTP,lol. And i was under the impression that the XJ got better gas milage than the GTP? And the XJ i am looking at has the 8.25 rear
SleeperRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Willy36
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: FoCo, Colorado
Posts: 1,168
coming from a 13.6 car, yea xj's are slow. but a 4.0 with the manual can still turn 1/4 mile times in the 15's with a good driver.

then again its a jeep. jeeps are not race cars, and people who drive them like they are race cars are the exact reason jeeps have such a bad name. oh yea and as everyone's been saying theyre plenty roomy. im 6' and have no problem fitting in my 90 xj.
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
berlinetta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Windsor ON Canada
Posts: 148
im 6'1 and i fit just fine into my 88' xj and my dad 00' xj, and you shouldn't be complaining about slow, a mid 13sec 1/4 is barely quick let alone fast
__________________
88' cherokee
berlinetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
dakotajeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ft. Riley, KS/Bismarck, ND
Posts: 917
Not to create a off-shoot debate but I dont think that our jeeps are as roomy as a people are letting on. I am 5'10" and I find the Jeep a little tight but thats my opinion as those before me have shared theirs......so take them with a grain of salt, its a person preference.

Granted, I LOVE my Jeep but if you feel the need to have tons of space get an F350, tons of space, but the turning radius sucks.

Good luck on the decision ahead!!!
__________________
2006 WK 4.7 Laredo 4x4 Stock...looking for Mod's

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
SleeperRedneck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bethel Park, PA
Posts: 58
Thnaks for all the input guys, i am leaning towards getting it and if i don't like it well then hey i can just sell it i guess.
SleeperRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
CJBivona
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Newburgh, NY
Posts: 86
6'2 200lbs I fit fine, and I have a 34" inseam. There is still room up top and tons of room out back.
__________________
1999 XJ Sport 4.0HO
Custom rear 2" rec. bumper. (Ryan's Truck Fab)
Full Leaf Packs
4.5" Actual Lift all around
TerraFlex 9550 Shocks
TerraFlex Quick Disco's
SpinTech 2 Chamber Steel MINI Muffler
32x11.5 MasterCraft MT's (Thanks Jersey99XJ )
Black Crager Steelies
REP8000 Ramsey Winch (NYI)
CJBivona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.