Looking for common Jeep 4.0 problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Looking for common Jeep 4.0 problems

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
SkierAtHeart

Looking for common Jeep 4.0 problems

I have a 95 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 and it has 181,000 miles on it. I would like to try and make it last 250,000 miles I usually put about 12,000-13,000 miles in it a year. Most of my driving is in the winter time, but I do tow a trailer with a raft on it in the warm summer months. I might be getting a snowmobile this year so more towing. I don't do much off roading but dirt roads can be common during the summer months.

I am looking for common problems that I can try and take care of prior to them happening. For instance I just broke a motor mount I did a search and it looks like its a fairly common problem with the 4.0's. Some of the things I have replaced are water pump, thermostat, starter, alternator, and value cover gasket. If you guys can can give me some ideas of things I should change now that would be great.

Thanks

SkierAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
justanotherjpr

Add transmission cooler, valve cover gasket always leaks at the back of the head. Keep it full of oil and it will last forever.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
SkierAtHeart

Thank you, What about ball joints? A couple of the rubber boots look pretty worn.
SkierAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Most guys pocketbooks preclude them from changing stuff out before its time. I'd recommend you do the same; it just makes sense on an economic basis. Most of the problems with the XJ won't leave you on the side of the road. Fix it when it becomes symptomatic.

As for sensors, the one that is a very common failure on the 4.0 is the crankshaft position sensor. "Some" guys replace it strictly as a preventive measure and keep the old one as a spare. They are kind of a PITA to replace, especially on the side of the road or on the trail.

Best recommendation for longevity? Replace ALL fluids regularly. Coolant, oil, tranny, differentials. I see guys go nuts all the time with mods, etc and they still have their original tranny fluid in there at 75k. Fluids are the lifeblood of your XJ.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkierAtHeart View Post
Thank you, What about ball joints? A couple of the rubber boots look pretty worn.
If there's no play in them just keep them greased real good and they should be fine

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
loneeagle78
1990 XJ Cherokee 

the main leak I have been replacing up here in ND lately has been the trans/transfer case seals. the seal at the back of the trans starts leaking and it comes out between the two. the other is make sure your rear diff is always full. rear axle seals are another problem area.
loneeagle78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.