looking at a 98 cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > looking at a 98 cherokee

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 06-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
skinner1790

looking at a 98 cherokee

i am looking a a 98 Cherokee with a 4.0 5 speed 4x4 it used to be a park ranger truck was told that it come from south Wyoming i am wonder it still has factory undercoating on it should i be concerned about rust it looks very clean from what i can tell no rust on body or rockers but what i was wondering was where should i look for rust also it looked very clean under it i mean metal was shiny could not see any rust at all its got 181k and 4x4 5 speed crank windows is it worth 2400 i just worried about rust and i been under neeth and seen factory undercoating does southern Wyoming have a lot of rust issues ? some one help

skinner1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
skinner1790

skinner1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
wpb98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I own a 98 5 speed that just turned 200k. It's been in NJ ( notorious Northeast winter's with too much salt on the roads) it's whole life and the only issues with rust that I have are the very bottoms of the driver and passenger doors. I repaired the rusted areas and painted the rockers and lower door, up to the crease 2 inches from the bottom, with black bedliner. It looks like from the picture you provided that the bottom of the doors and the rocker panels were painted black. My guess is that was done to either mask or repair those rust prone areas. I would check that area out up close. Even with a little rust I would pay $2400 for it. In my opinion the manual trans 4.0's are tough to beat and they seem to last even longer than the automatics. Good luck if you decide to purchase it.
wpb98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rockers are the first place to go. Also the floor above the muffler and cat. Look under the hood where the sheetmetal is seamed.
2400 is a good fair price. How does it drive on the highway? Get it up to 75 and make sure it doesnt have death wobble. Any check engine codes? Does the light work?
I like it!

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

youmightalsopullupthecarpetunderthedashandlookforr ustthereaswellastheotherplacesmentionedabovealsoyo ushouldcheckedmundsoekbbornadatoseewhatthevalueisi nyourarea

(If you're not going to use proper punctuation, why bother with spaces? )
sAe23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.