Which longer front brake lines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Which longer front brake lines?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Which longer front brake lines?

I know that YJ brake lines can be used on an XJ, but is that for the front? Or both? My rear lines have enough travel, but my fronts need to be extended (aside from disco'ing the bracket). I also remember reading about Dodge van brake lines.

Does anyone know which years/models will work for the front?

Thanks

'97 XJ Country, 3" hybrid, 245/75 MTR, TJ Moabs, Front Truetrac/Rear Aussie, 4:10 gears, skids, recovery.
djlarroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Veeb0rg
1995 XJ Cherokee 

YJ lines will work, however GMC lines from 1500 2wd trucks are a bit longer and a bit cheaper.

95 GMC c1500 2wd lines - 15$ each
Left - Napa PN #38620
Right - Napa PN #38621

'95 Wrangler *YJ* - 18$ each
Left - Napa PN #38862
Right - Napa PN #38861
Veeb0rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yep.

Quoted from my build. Im using them on 5 inches of lift, they're great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
So heres what i did.

New lines, for a gmc or something. I just looked up the part number.

The end is much better, and fits nicely between the bleeder and mounting bolt once installed.

The mounting bracket needed to be stretched, then slid up the hose, and re clamped.

To mount the new hoses-

I had to tap the upper hole in the frame. It is an m8x1.5 thread, so the bolts match. I had been using a zip tie to hold the old hoses, so this is way better.

I also had to drill out the holes on the bracket, they are in the right spot suprisingly, but just not big enough.

Finally, the caliper mount had to be trimmed a little so it would fit where i wanted it.

Done. WAY more slack.

These lines are 2.5 inches longer than the RE 20 inch lines. I was maxing those out under flex.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome awesome awesome!!!!

Thank you guys!!
'97 XJ Country, 3" hybrid, 245/75 MTR, TJ Moabs, Front Truetrac/Rear Aussie, 4:10 gears, skids, recovery.
Unread 01-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bought my Chevy brake lines today. Thank you!
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just curious, any difference between the two other than looks? The GMC line looks plain, while the YJ's line is ribbed.
Unread 04-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
djlarroc
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ribbed is for more pleasure??
Unread 05-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
*Jonathan
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How do your tires not hit your brakeline when you turn your wheel. From that picture it look like it would.
*Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Metzroth
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jonathan View Post
How do your tires not hit your brakeline when you turn your wheel. From that picture it look like it would.
Hate to revive a dead thread, but I am planning to use these and I was wondering the same thing. I bought some from advanced but they didnt come with the brackets so I have to return them i guess.
2000 XJ Classic - 33" GY Duratracs, 15x10 Cragar V5s, Crown HD springs, Clayton adjustable shackles, OME Nitrocharger Sport Long Travel Shocks, JKS Discos, extended brake lines, 2" poly spacers in front with V8 ZJ springs, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Hella E-Code headlight housings, Narva 100/130 Bulbs, Olympic Top Hat Rack, etc.
Metzroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Metzroth
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jonathan View Post
Just thought i would throw my .02 in. I have a 2" coil spacer up front, 33x12.50-15 GY Duratrac tires, 15x10 (3.75" Backspacing), and I was able to install these in a way that they will not rub. I had to angle the mounting bracket toward the front of the vehicle very slightly. At full lock left and right I have several inches of clearance at ride height. Best cheapo upgrade I've made to my XJ to date. When I install my long travel OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks next week these will come in handy.

I will say that for some reason the Dakota rear line did not work for me. When I say that I mean it just didn't appear that it would bolt up the same way or that it had all of the connections.
2000 XJ Classic - 33" GY Duratracs, 15x10 Cragar V5s, Crown HD springs, Clayton adjustable shackles, OME Nitrocharger Sport Long Travel Shocks, JKS Discos, extended brake lines, 2" poly spacers in front with V8 ZJ springs, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Hella E-Code headlight housings, Narva 100/130 Bulbs, Olympic Top Hat Rack, etc.
Metzroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.