Long arm upgrade on a budget? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Long arm upgrade on a budget?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
Eric90xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Long arm upgrade on a budget?

Anyone have recommendation for a cheap long arm upgrade kit? Not the full kit just a bolt on front upgrade. Also, if I'm running at 6 inches in the front in 1.5 coil spacers should I have to replace with full springs so that they dont pull off the bump stops at full flex?

Eric90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Vassago
@hot_beef_sundae

2001 XJ Cherokee 

rough country seems to be the best bang for you buck

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

There is no cheap kit. but, with the $600 rough country kit you do get a skid plate (however weak or strong it really is)
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
DoctorPhate
XJ Cherokee 

Cheap = Weak.

Buy drop brackets and use those for now and do it right later or you'll regret it.
DoctorPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Eric90xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What about Iron Rock Offroad, I have their trac bar and steering it seems solid, any opinions on that kit?
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The IRO or rough country upgrades are the cheapest. I have been pleased with all of my IRO products so far. I have their 3" kit on my WJ as well as their control arms. The biggest difference in the two is the IRO kit only has one upper arm, where the RC kit has two, and the RC kit comes with a built in skid plate. I think I would go with rough country if it were me, but wouldn't rule out the IRO upgrade either.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree. With the price being so close between IRO and RC, either one would be a great kit. The RC long arms should be stronger due to the additional upper arm, but IRO kit is super easy to setup. You dont have to adjust the length of the arms, just set the bracket for caster and your done.
Unread 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorPhate View Post
Cheap = Weak.

Buy drop brackets and use those for now and do it right later or you'll regret it.
Seeing as the cheapest kits out there are $600 and those are just for the long arms used in $1500-2000 kits.
$600 isn't cheap in my opinion, but being the cheapest option doesn't make it weak.
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
DoctorPhate
XJ Cherokee 

when compared to something like Staangs Fab that are only a few hundred more than those it just doesnt make sense to penny pinch. Run drop brackets until you can afford it and just do it right the first time.

Neither RC or IRO have life time warranties, so for me im saving and buying Staangs. your money though.
DoctorPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Eric90xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cheap = Weak.

Just curious but do you have personal experience with this? I agree alot of times cheap does equal weak but I wouldn't just assume that just because of the price. From a manufacturing standpoint it could be cheaper because rough country is a large company that is mass producing products. The more you produce the cheaper it gets.
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Neither RC or IRO have life time warranties, so for me im saving and buying Staangs. your money though.
IRO does

Quote:
Iron Rock Off Road's Warranty:
All products manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. are guaranteed to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for as long as you own the product. If your product ever fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship we will replace it free of charge, excluding shipping and handling. This warranty does not apply to corrosion, finish, or normal wear. This warranty is non-transferable. Misuse, modification in any way, or any use other than the product’s designed purpose will void the warranty. Iron Rock Off Road control arms come with a lifetime unbendable guarantee. If you bend or break a control arm on or off road, we will replace it. Products not manufactured by Iron Rock Off Road, Inc. will be subject to the product manufacturer's warranty. Claims must be made to that manufacturer. Custom parts are non-returnable, non-refundable.
So does RC

Quote:
Rough Country Suspension Systems offers a Lifetime Replacement Warranty on all suspension products including Shocks and Stabilizers*.
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
alexrule123
What's a c-clip?

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Having installed both the IRO and RC kits on two Jeeps and been wheeling with both, they are both good kits. The IRO kit is much easier to install (but less mounting points than RC) and has better ground clearance. The RC kit is nice in that is comes with a skid plate but it is a little bit more difficult to install. For the people saying the IRO LA kit is weak have never wheeled with it. The downside to the RC long arms is that they hang down lower and will scrap on obstacles before the IRO long arms. The plus side of the RC is that it does have more mounting points than the IRO kit. Also it is possible to get the RC kit for under $600 if you shop around so that would make it a good deal.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 12:00 AM   #13
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric90xj View Post
Also, if I'm running at 6 inches in the front in 1.5 coil spacers should I have to replace with full springs so that they dont pull off the bump stops at full flex?
wait ur running 6 inches of lift consisting of coil spacers???? if so yes you do need a set of springs. sorry if i'm misunderstanding this, can you explain your setup?
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #14
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGArfx View Post
wait ur running 6 inches of lift consisting of coil spacers???? if so yes you do need a set of springs. sorry if i'm misunderstanding this, can you explain your setup?
I thing he means that since that he has a 1.5" spacer with a 4.5 in spring. And since the coil spacer doesn't move at full flex the coil will come out from around the bump stop. While a 6" spring would remain around the bump because its longer.
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
when compared to something like Staangs Fab that are only a few hundred more than those it just doesnt make sense to penny pinch. Run drop brackets until you can afford it and just do it right the first time.

Wow..that Staang kit looks strikingly like the Claytons LA kit......hmmmm.

I have the IRO LA upgrade. Its awesome, but im sure the RC kit would work fine also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.