Locking Rear Drum Brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Locking Rear Drum Brake

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
rapidcycler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Locking Rear Drum Brake

After my normal 26 mile commute, in dry , hot weather, what seemed to be my right rear drum locked and dragged the tired. It literally squealed. I was doing about 25-30 mph and had just trouched the brake. I am in line for a pad change, perhaps rotor as well? Is there some issue that I am missing? I did a search and found a lot of stuff about wet brakes, but mine were dry, and I had already driven over 25 miles.

thanks

rapidcycler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do the brakes need servicing or not ? If they do, see if that fixes the problem. Pads/rotors or brake shoes/brake drums are replaced with new parts at the same time. You should not re-use old parts with new parts. You should probably should consider bleeding the brakes and removing all the old brake fluid, as you refill with fresh fluid.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
rapidcycler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Do the brakes need servicing or not ? If they do, see if that fixes the problem. Pads/rotors or brake shoes/brake drums are replaced with new parts at the same time. You should not re-use old parts with new parts. You should probably should consider bleeding the brakes and removing all the old brake fluid, as you refill with fresh fluid.
Agreed. And I got all of the materials to do just that today with the same thought in mind. If that fixes it great, and if it doesn't it narrows down the diagnosis. However, on the way from autozone(I went at lunch), the delivery people called saying that my lift would arrive on monday between 10 and 6. Since I have to change the brake lines and bleed the brakes anyway, I figured I'd wait until after the lift is installed next week. It has never happened before, and it hasn't happened since.

I got the RE6130 4.5" Super-Flex w/ Rear Leaf Springs Lift. But I'm only going 3.5 inches. Had the springs swapped for 3.5 springs and shims instead of TC drop kit. Got SYE and TW drive shaft. When they said the lift would be here monday, I ordered my tires. Also trying to identify source of oil leak. Will post pic in few minutes on that.

thanks, for the reply.
Unread 06-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
ironman2427
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Is it disc or drum brakes? Do you do your own work or have a mechanic? These things can come into play. You could have a bad axle seal in the back causing your brakes to hang up. You could have a piece of broken hardware behind your brake drum, ebrake cable could be stuck, etc.
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
rapidcycler
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You called it Tim, was brake fluid (sometimes us newbs do listen)! I'd forgotten what driving on good brakes feels like.

Thanks!

Tags
98 jeep cherokee , brakes , drum , rear , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.