Lock Right Locker won't engage!?!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lock Right Locker won't engage!?!?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 10-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
harleyhector
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Lock Right Locker won't engage!?!?

I just installed a "Lunch box" type Lock Right locker in my C8.25. I have done 3 before and had no issues. I installed the locker per the Owners/install manual that it came with. I use 85/140w oil to quiet down the ratcheting sound that they make. After the install was completed, I put my Jeep in drive. It wouldn't move. It makes a slight grinding noise as if you are in a standard shift vehicle and missed a gear, just not as loud. As I press on the gas, I hear the gear and locker assembly spinning however the locker is not engaging and will not propel the Jeep forward or rearward for that matter. I took it completely apart and checked every part and piece for damage. There was none. So again I re-installed it and got the same results. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

harleyhector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Could they have sold you the wrong locker? It sounds like the side gears aren't engaging the shaft splines...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
harleyhector
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I suppose it could be possible but, i check the part numbers and they match to the Lock Right website list. I bought it at a local 4x4 shop. I asked them, and they say it looks right. I brought them the carrier and all other parts and the assembled it on a bench to make sure it was correct. I then brought it home and re-installed everything. It just spins. Very frustrating. Thanks for the thoughts. I really do appreciate it. I ask Lock right tech line and they were all but useless. I call my local Jeep dealer and got the same results.
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would pull the side gears and axle shafts and check the spline engagement with the parts out. I'm unfamiliar with the 8.25. Is it a C-clip axle?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
harleyhector
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yes sir. it is a "c" clip axle. The shafts do fit nicely through the side gears. Nice and tight and the clips go right into place.
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
harleyhector
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I just read about a guy with a similar problem. He mentioned that he used bearing grease instead of axle grease on his locker components. could that really be the issue? I may have used bearing grease as well. I am not at my garage but, I think that is infact what I used. Bearing grease.
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhector View Post
I just read about a guy with a similar problem. He mentioned that he used bearing grease instead of axle grease on his locker components. could that really be the issue? I may have used bearing grease as well. I am not at my garage but, I think that is infact what I used. Bearing grease.
Doubtful - it should engage no matter what. Have you done the 'lock test' with the cover off to watch the locker? Can you snap a picture of it in the carrier for us?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.