Light knocking noise at idle (and slightly slow idle) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Light knocking noise at idle (and slightly slow idle)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #1
Calpolyclimber

Light knocking noise at idle (and slightly slow idle)

I have a light knocking noise at idle. It does not sound like it is the same piston each time... Its kindof a knock knock knock *pause* knock *pause* knock knock *pause...* etc. If you get my drift. Would this be a CPS issue? Also, I am idling at about 5-600 RPM's, which is a little low from what I hear. Any thoughts about what this could be would be greatly appreciated. I have already checked the plugs, and they looked fine. And like I said, the sound does not appear to follow any pattern, which makes me think it is not a specific piston (s).

The sound is pretty quiet. I can't really hear it with the window closed, and it is only apparent with the engine idling (in drive or park).

Help me figure out what is wrong (if anything is).

Thanks.

~Alex

Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE 6030 3.5" Super-Flex lift w/ full leaf packs
RE SYE and DS
31x10.5 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
Calpolyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

The best thing to do is check the intake parts and sensors, as well as the CPS. I would first make sure there is no air getting in through the throttle body/intake manifold gasket, as well as the place where the intake tube mounts to the TB. If the engine air is hot enough, it will cause the cylinder to preignite, causing a knock. If this proves not to work, check for resistance in the TPS/CPS. Since you said it doesnt sound like it is coming from one spot, it doesnt seem like you have worn interior parts. I have a simliar knock and just turn the music up .

-Christian
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
Calpolyclimber

How would I go about checking them for resistance? I mean what should their resistance be? Thanks.
Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE SYE and DS
Unread 04-25-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
CraigMBA

Check the purge valve for the evap canister.

It's right above where the AC lines pass through the firewall on the passenger side. It has a couple of vacuume hoses and an OE wire plug with two wires on it.

Let us know.
Unread 04-25-2004, 07:57 PM   #5
Calpolyclimber

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "check" them, but I looked, and nothing looked out of the ordinary.

It didn't look like anything in the intake area was leaking, as far as I could tell.
Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE SYE and DS
Unread 04-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #6
mbood82
1999 XJ Cherokee 

He means take a voltmeter, turn it to resistance measurement, then stick the prongs onto the terminals of the CPS or whatever other item you want to check and see what it reads. I'd buy a Haynes, since it will explain what you need to do and give you the measurements it should read, something I don't know off the top of my head.
mbood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 08:06 PM   #7
Calpolyclimber

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I know he means check the Ohm's, but I wasn't sure what they should be, and which points I should probe to find this. I have the Chilton, but I was just to lazy to look it up.
Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE SYE and DS
Unread 04-25-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
mbood82
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh, I see. Never mind then.....

I need to stop being lazy and buy one myself. Though I'd really just like to pick up a techs manual, that would be more helpful then the often wrong/misleading Chilton......
mbood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #9
Calpolyclimber

I searched through a bunch of threads, and I think it may be a weak lifter... One guy said that is what it is if the knock is at about half of the RPM's... Which it is. I have not isolated it, but it can mostly only be heard on the driver's side, with the hood closed. If I open the hood and stand in front, I can BARELY hear it. It goes away for the most part when the engine is revved.

Any thoughts? And if this is the problem, anything I can do to fix it?
Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE SYE and DS
Unread 04-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
CraigMBA

First, find the purge valve. It mounts on the firewall about 6" from where the AC lines go through.

Second, next time the knocking starts, pull over, open the hood, and TOUCH the purge valve. If the knocking sound fits the same pulseation of the purge valve, you've got it.

Other than that, it might be a motor mount. The motor mount on the drivers side gets grenaded from the exaust heat and will make similar noise. It is impossible to check it without removing it, but if you have 60K+ it's probablly done for.
Unread 04-28-2004, 12:01 PM   #11
Calpolyclimber

Not sure if you read my other post, but I have isolated the sound. It seems to be coming from the tranny bellhousing area. More specifically, it is loudest (with the stethoscope) right at the lower lip of the bellhousing...
Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE SYE and DS
Unread 04-28-2004, 02:59 PM   #12
Kamaaina
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Probably piston slap. My old '93 had the same sound. I replaced the lifters, rocker arm pivots, connecting rod bearings and crank bearings but no improvement. This is due to larger than normal clearance between the piston and cylinder wall. A lot of 4.0 motors have this trait and is not a major concern. Is the knocking louder when the motor is cold and gets less when warm?
Kamaaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
Altec88

You might want to check to see if the flywheel bolts are tight. just remove the flywheel inspection plate and get a wrench on the flywheel to torque converter bolts. you will have to jam a big screwdriver in there to keep the flywheel from turning. I've seen a couple of cherokees that had the bolts loosen up and it will knock.
Altec88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 03:29 PM   #14
mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpolyclimber
I have a light knocking noise at idle. It does not sound like it is the same piston each time... Its kindof a knock knock knock *pause* knock *pause* knock knock *pause...* etc. If you get my drift. Would this be a CPS issue? Also, I am idling at about 5-600 RPM's, which is a little low from what I hear. Any thoughts about what this could be would be greatly appreciated. I have already checked the plugs, and they looked fine. And like I said, the sound does not appear to follow any pattern, which makes me think it is not a specific piston (s).

The sound is pretty quiet. I can't really hear it with the window closed, and it is only apparent with the engine idling (in drive or park).

Help me figure out what is wrong (if anything is).

Thanks.

~Alex
I just discovered the EXACT same sound on my 96 XJ about 2 weeks ago. The Header is new, compression test fine, and I checked all the plugs and sensors.

I did track the noise to where I think the clutch is. The noise seemed to be coming from between the tranny and engine. (I have an automatic)

Do you think that could be the clutch or something in that area?

-mofo
mofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2004, 04:37 PM   #15
Calpolyclimber

I have checked those bolts, they are tight.

Any other ideas???

I don't want to throw money at a dealer so they can just look at it...
Auto tranny
Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow
RE SYE and DS

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.