Light Colored Smoke From Under Hood - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Light Colored Smoke From Under Hood

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Light Colored Smoke From Under Hood

He last three times I've driven my more than a couple miles and stop to back into a parking smoke it smokes from under the hood. After a 20 mile highway ride it smoked enough to be coming out of the grill, wheel wells and cowl vents. But by the time I pop the hood it's done smoking and won't do it while idling or revving.

1. It looks like the block in the passenger side is fairly oily. Could that be heating up enough to smoke?

2. It's not the exhaust.

3. I haven't noticed this sitting at red lights or driving.

I can't pin down what the deal is with the smoking. I thought maybe it was oil dripping on the exhaust but really have no experience with high mileage vehicles like this so I'm just guessing.

Unread 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510
He last three times I've driven my more than a couple miles and stop to back into a parking smoke it smokes from under the hood. After a 20 mile highway ride it smoked enough to be coming out of the grill, wheel wells and cowl vents. But by the time I pop the hood it's done smoking and won't do it while idling or revving. 1. It looks like the block in the passenger side is fairly oily. Could that be heating up enough to smoke? 2. It's not the exhaust. 3. I haven't noticed this sitting at red lights or driving. I can't pin down what the deal is with the smoking. I thought maybe it was oil dripping on the exhaust but really have no experience with high mileage vehicles like this so I'm just guessing.
Mine did something similar, in my case it was the inner break pad on each side. Just barely rubbing, and it would work it's way under the hood, and when I'd park it would rush out, but not noticeably any other time

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

94 motor, 4.5" and 35s
xjlife101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Is there an odor? Check you're fluids.
I agree on the brakes.
Unread 12-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is an odor. I couldn't pin the smell down. Girlfriend says it almost smells like a blown out candle.

It doesn't drive like a brake is sticking but could I diagnose that by jacked it up and spinning the wheels?

Fluids look good. Haven't checked coolant.
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Haven't checked coolant.
Gotta check coolant; it's a primary suspect! Perform a thorough inspection of everything under the hood using the best light you can get your hands on.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If the brake pads are worn or glazed then you'll get what you've described. I would inspect the brakes.
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker
Gotta check coolant; it's a primary suspect! Perform a thorough inspection of everything under the hood using the best light you can get your hands on.
If it's getting coolant in the cylinder wouldn't the smoke be coming from exhaust?

I'll do a more thorough look when I have time, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks.
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You have to identify the smoke and its source. It could be oil, coolant, transmission fluid, or brakes.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wonder if its blow by. Pull the air filter. See if its wet in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.