Lifters ticking LOUDLY and then stopping... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lifters ticking LOUDLY and then stopping...

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
xosunshineox
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lifters ticking LOUDLY and then stopping...

On a cold start in 15 degree weather, I would hear my lifters making noise, but it would go away after the car warmed up. This only happened twice. I have a check engine light throwing out codes for the O2 sensor, two misfires, and a lose gas cap. I tried to replace the O2 sensor but didn't have the right size wrench so I put it on hold untill tomorrow.

I started my engine a couple hours after that, and now the lifters are louder then ever and took about 30 minutes to stop making noise. I also had an extremely rough idle and a high oil pressure reading (40 at idle, 80 when accelerating). Usually my oil pressure sits at 15 psi when idle, and 40 when accelerating. Another thing I noticed is that the evap solenoid wasn't making it's usual clicking noise. It was much faster and sporadic.

Is my oil pump bad, or could I possibly fix the lifter noise by using Sea Foam? Also, what would cause the noisy lifters, high oil pressure, and rough idle (similar to the vibrations of a Death Wobble) if I didn't even replace parts or take any off for that matter?

xosunshineox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

What happens if you shut the engine off immediately and wait 30 seconds and restart? Noise gone?

What brand of oil filter are you using?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xosunshineox View Post
Also, what would cause the noisy lifters, high oil pressure, and rough idle (similar to the vibrations of a Death Wobble) if I didn't even replace parts or take any off for that matter?
Could be the cam is walking due to bad cam bearings. Hook up a direct reading oil pressure gauge in place of your oil pressure sender and check the oil pressure. See if you get the same readings you see on your instrument cluster oil pressure gauge.

Direct reading oil pressure test sets can be rented (refund) from O'reilly, Advance, or other auto parts stores. Threads on the sender are 1/8" pipe thread. Use a 27 MM deep socket to R&R the sender.
Unread 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
xosunshineox
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
What happens if you shut the engine off immediately and wait 30 seconds and restart? Noise gone?

What brand of oil filter are you using?
Same issues when I restarted, however this morning all symptoms are gone and it's running normal again with the typically oil pressure reading.

I'll look at the oil filter today. I'm not sure which brand it is because when I took the Jeep to be looked over by my mechanic I also had him do an oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Could be the cam is walking due to bad cam bearings. Hook up a direct reading oil pressure gauge in place of your oil pressure sender and check the oil pressure. See if you get the same readings you see on your instrument cluster oil pressure gauge.

Direct reading oil pressure test sets can be rented (refund) from O'reilly, Advance, or other auto parts stores. Threads on the sender are 1/8" pipe thread. Use a 27 MM deep socket to R&R the sender.
I'll check it out today.
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
xosunshineox
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Is it possible that my oil is too thick? What kind of oil should I put in it with a problem like this?

Oh, and I couldn't see much of the details on the oil filter. It's an Athena. What kind of oil filter has the most reliable DBV?

Last edited by xosunshineox; 03-30-2013 at 02:05 PM..
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
5W-30 works well, but can be a bit on thick side in extreme cold. I've used 5W-30 or 5W-40 full synthetics on all my Jeeps without any serious issues down to around occasional -20*F days. Lifters could be a bit noisy on initial startup, but goes away in a few minutes.

As suggested check your oil pressure with a direct reading gauge and use high quality oil filters. If oil pressure is normal, I wouldn't worry too much.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Is it possible that my oil is too thick? What kind of oil should I put in it with a problem like this?

Oh, and I couldn't see much of the details on the oil filter. It's an Athena. What kind of oil filter has the most reliable DBV?
Yeah but the problem is most likely a bad lifter that bleeds down. The thick oil when cold will take awhile to re-fill the lifter. A nusinance but no real harm unless lifter fails to pump up at all.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

Just for fun go to Napa and get a Napa Gold filter. Replace it only and see what happens.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.