Lifted XJ and Trailer Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lifted XJ and Trailer Towing

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Lifted XJ and Trailer Towing

We recently sold our truck that I normally use to pull the BMW M3 Racecar trailer with so I could invest a bit more money into the car itself for next season. At the time when I sold it I thougth to myself "My XJ will pull it just fine for the time being".

Now after thinking about it a bit more I'm not so sure it was a good idea. I have yet to pull the trailer with the XJ. I just have a few questions.

1) Is the 4.0 able to handle a 5500-6000lb. 1.5 car enclosed trailer (trailer/car/race equipment)?
2) I have a 4.5" rough country lift with 31" tires; does it sit to high?
3) I've looked into rear air-ride control aswell as the SuperSprings helper springs for the rear. Should I invest in a system like this? Our old truck had the helper bags in the rear and it made a world of difference. Does it have the same effect on the XJ's?
4) My trailer is setup for sway-bars and load bars. But being that the jeep sits so high I'm not quite sure how to incorporate this into the lifted XJ. Any thoughts?
5) Tranny cooler; yes I know it's a must. Does anyone offer (besides factory) an upgrade kit? Not a problem to put my own together, just was curious mainly about adapotors to the tranny itself.
6) Any other additional thoughts?

I'll only be using the XJ to pull the trailer for about 6-7 months tops before our new truck comes in. So it will not be a permanent thing. I don't mind putting the money into whats needed however to make it able to handle it. I'm more worried about rear sag etc. than I am about the jeep being able to pull the trailer.

Thanks in advance!

LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
sayit

I have yet to pull anything that heavy. I just put a rustys 3" lift on my jeep and have some concerns as well. I can't even remember what it weighs. But i will be pulling my pop up camper and all associated supplies as well.

In stock form..my 99 handled the load pretty well. (other than the sagging rear end). I'm hoping to get away with only a small ball drop for the hitch. I do have a tranny cooler....and I'm hoping your trailer has either electric or surge brakes?

Now with my camper hooked up...I felt very little difference on flat roads..but I often found myself in 3rd going up long hills. My camper is all covered up in the barn for the winter..but I'm itching to hook the jeep up and give it a try with the new (31") tires.

What is the tongue weight of a car trailer that big? I think you may need helper bags or something in there to keep that rear from sagging...or more importantly bouncing. You will be attempting to tow a load that weighs more than your rig does. So a bouncing trailer will take over the jeep for sure.

My only advice is to be careful and go slow. It sounds like your going to make sure you do things right. Seems like I remember a towing thread on the site a while back. Yep do a search on "towing capacity" some of the info should give you some guidance.
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/sayit]JEEP[/URL]
sayit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
Doolittle

you would probably want a drop down hitch to even out the differance a few inches. You could always do the heavy duty add a leaf and some stiffer shocks.
4.0 Litre HO 5-Speed
Command Trac
D30/8.25
3in. BDS Lift
BDS shocks w/yellow boots
_Tires_
Front: noname 235's
Rear:(new)31x11.50 uniroyal larado rv's

[COLOR=DarkOrange][U]I don't give a rats *** about online jeep clubs jeep club[/U] member # 10010101100101001[/COLOR]
Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
h2oskiier222

I pulled a 4000 pound boat with my old 93 and it was sketchy. I would not even try to pull that much with an xj to be honest.

2002 Ford F-250 4x4 xlt SC SWB PowerStroke Diesel, 6spd, 4" exhaust w/ aero turbine and 5" magnaflow tip, afe stage 2 intake with PG7 filter, PacBrake PRXB Exhaust Brake
h2oskiier222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the responses so far.

I do have a 5" drop hitch and just ordered a 6" drop hitch aswell to give me the option. I've also made my own hitch out of ss and I don't see that part of it being any problem. Though since it dosn't have a frame I 2nd guess myself somewhat.

The trailer is a triple axel. I honestly don't know what the tounge weight is on it unfortantly. I do aswell have electric brakes, so thats not an issue. The trailer pulls very nice and I don't see power being an issue (though I could be wrong).

My biggest concern I guess is with rear sag. Specifically due to the lift. I'm going to do a bit more research on it. I've searched this site a bit and found a bit of helpful info but not 100% what I'm looking for. Google hasn't helped much either. Anyone have any thoughts on air vs. the helper springs? Pro's / Con's of each setup on the XJ? Each system is priced relativly the same.

Anyone else have any additional thoughts? Just go buy another pickup for cheeps and call it a day?
Unread 12-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #6
gecko321

towing capacity is only rated at 5000lbs if you have an auto tranny...i tow a 3500lb boat and anything over 50-55mph gets kinda scary had the trailer make the back of my xj dance around on the road.. not very fun...i would honestly look for something like a 1/2 ton pic-up to tow it... i wouldn't tow it unless it was an emergency...might cause more harm that it would be worth...tounge weight on shouldn't exceed 500lbs might want to take it to a scale and find out what it is...your breaking wouldn't be too much of a problem..controlling your jeep would be....

mike
4Runner Roll bar | Welded D30 & 8.8 | MM PE8000 Winch
gecko321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #7
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

My only input would be to go find a truck rental place and rent a truck for however long your goin to be towing that trailer...like the weekend or whatever...better to be safe than end up on the side of the road with a busted and hurting XJ
FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
MontyTJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
RedXJim

I see power as being a big issue. Last weekend I was pulling 2 bikes and 2 ATV's plus equipment on an aluminum 3 place snowmobile trailer and I couldnt keep her at 65 mph without taking it out of overdrive. That was before I put on the heavier rims and tires.

~jim
1995 Cherokee 2dr, Rubicon Express 3.5 Superflex, HD Trackbar, 33x12.5x15 TSL, 4.11 Gears, Dana 30 Front w/ Powertrax and Superior Axles, Chrysler 8.25 Rear w/ Detroit and Yukon Axles, SYE W/ Front Driveshaft.
RedXJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
RedXJim

I bet gearing your Cherokee down a little bit would be a step in the right direction. Go with some 3.73's or better yet 4.10's.
1995 Cherokee 2dr, Rubicon Express 3.5 Superflex, HD Trackbar, 33x12.5x15 TSL, 4.11 Gears, Dana 30 Front w/ Powertrax and Superior Axles, Chrysler 8.25 Rear w/ Detroit and Yukon Axles, SYE W/ Front Driveshaft.
RedXJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:08 PM   #10
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

RedXJim-

Funny you should reply. I'm located in Huntington.

All-

Thanks for the responce guys. I guess I'll be looking for another tow vehical. I had myself talked out of it prior, but I guess you all re-confirmed it for me.
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #11
Doolittle

i wonder if putting the rear sway bar back on would help. I assume if your lifted you tore it off?
4.0 Litre HO 5-Speed
Command Trac
D30/8.25
3in. BDS Lift
BDS shocks w/yellow boots
_Tires_
Front: noname 235's
Rear:(new)31x11.50 uniroyal larado rv's

[COLOR=DarkOrange][U]I don't give a rats *** about online jeep clubs jeep club[/U] member # 10010101100101001[/COLOR]
Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like that would be a long-and-not-very-fun ride.I wouldn't do it.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2004, 04:11 PM   #13
CakeCrawl

I've been towing a little with my 95 4.0 HO and have seen a couple of things. I have a trailer I can tow bikes or jet skis with. I towed 2 jet skis up to big bear lake and had to pull over because of overheating and thats with a tranny cooler. I've towed the same trailer with 2 bikes and some gear and it wasnt so bad. I don't have a lift yet so I don't know how a lifter XJ will react. I'm sure gearing and power is a big issue and be sure to get a tranny cooler, maybe even an oil cooler. Traveling from San Diego to anywhere I'm wheeling a as high as 5k feet to get to lakes or the desert so I'm maxing at 55 or 60. I also have a Joe Hauler which doesnt effect ride or speed at all.

I'm planning on the SJ 8" kit so I may need to get a drop down hitch =]
CakeCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.