lifted jeep alignment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > lifted jeep alignment

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
BigwillXJ

lifted jeep alignment

My dad was recently tapped in the drivers side rear on the highway. His jeep has no marks at all but the wheel took a beating. So he got it aligned and put the bad wheel in the back and got a horrible vibration. So yesterday we got the wheel replaced and everything balanced and we still get the horrible vibration about 50 mph. My ? is there any different secification for alignments for a lifted xj?

The jeep is an 87 with RE 3.5" superflex with non adjustable lowers.

NC State
BigwillXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigwillXJ
My dad was recently tapped in the drivers side rear on the highway. His jeep has no marks at all but the wheel took a beating. So he got it aligned and put the bad wheel in the back and got a horrible vibration. So yesterday we got the wheel replaced and everything balanced and we still get the horrible vibration about 50 mph. My ? is there any different secification for alignments for a lifted xj?

The jeep is an 87 with RE 3.5" superflex with non adjustable lowers.
Well i would say No just becuase i know they used the stock spec to align my jeep. But i guess it could be wrong on mine to, but i dont have any bad vibrations.
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
XJING

Speed related wobble is 99% of the time related to balance of the wheel and TIRE, sometimes the tire will slip a belt, or if it did get hit in the accident maybe the belts are bent. Try putting the spare on the tire that got hit and see if it makes a difference. Good Luck
Unread 12-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #4
mud-dog27

when it comes to jeeps and alignments its pretty much usless cause all you can really do is adjust the toe....i had mine done when i lefted but like 2weeks later it was outta whack again pretty much just check everything that could have been damaged in the front end...and go from there
89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
XJING

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud-dog27
when it comes to jeeps and alignments its pretty much usless cause all you can really do is adjust the toe....i had mine done when i lefted but like 2weeks later it was outta whack again pretty much just check everything that could have been damaged in the front end...and go from there
I guess thats why they make adjustable Track bars and adjustable upper and lower control arms. (So you can adjust for castor too)
I have adjusted my castor at 2" lift hight with shims in the control arms and an Adjustable Track bar to bring the axle dead center. Never have a problem with alignment,
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #6
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud-dog27
when it comes to jeeps and alignments its pretty much usless cause all you can really do is adjust the toe...
why do people think this? caster is completely adjustable on XJ's, regardless of if you're lifted, or stock, or have adjustable arms or not. The only thing not adjustable on an XJ in stock form is camber. And even that can be adjusted if you get eccentric balljoints.

edit: it's quite possible that the axle got bend, or something else was damaged when your dad's XJ got hit that is causing the vibration.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
anony91xj

As usual...start with the basics. Rotate the tires front-to-back and see if the vibration moves to the front. If it does, that tire is the culprit. Even if it's balanced on a balancing machine, that doesn't mean that the belts haven't slipped or that it's worn evenly. Check it out closely, you'll probably have to replace it if the vibration changes with the tire rotation. Check the other 3 tires closely while you're at it.

If the vibration doesn't change, look at the rear axle and driveline. It is possible that the axle shaft got bent in the accident. Is one axle seal leaking badly? That could be a sign of a bent shaft. If this is your issue, I'd recommend heading to the junkyard for a complete rear instead of just replacing the shaft and hoping that'll fix your issue.

Neither of these issues are alignment related, but they are the most likely causes for your vibration.
Unread 12-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just to clarify, the caster adjustment is made via the lower control arm mount. If you look at it, there is a U shaped bracket inside the mount itself. There is a bolt that is attached to that and it goes through the rear of the mount and bolts down.

You adjust the caster by adding shims between the Bracket and the back of the mount and that will push the LCA forward or allow it to be moved back.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.