lift shackles question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > lift shackles question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
jrome39
1991 XJ Cherokee 

lift shackles question

Im trying to bump my 91 laredo up about 2 inches right now my rear sits at a little over 17 an 1/2 and the front just over 17 inches so im thinking my rears not sagging cant afford a new set of leaf springs at this time so wanted to go with shackles for a lift in the back and coil spacers up front a fellow jeeper had a set of chevy lowering shackles he offered me told me they would give me about 2inches in the back depending on which hole I used just wanted to know if you guys think this would work for a jeep thats a dd and doesnt get wheeled or see a lot of trails

jrome39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrome39 View Post
I'm trying to bump my 91 laredo up about 2 inches. Right now my rear sits at a little over 17 and 1/2 and the front just over 17 inches, so I'm thinking my rears not sagging. I can't afford a new set of leaf springs at this time so I wanted to go with shackles for a lift in the back and coil spacers up front. A fellow jeeper had a set of chevy lowering shackles he offered me; told me they would give me about 2 inches in the back depending on which hole I used. I just wanted to know if you guys think this would work for a jeep thats a dd and doesn't get wheeled or see a lot of trails.
Are you sure you got those measurements right? If you reversed them you'd be at factory height! Otherwise your front is sagging and the rear is 1/2 inch higher than stock

As for the shackles and spacers, they are fine to use, but I would suggest installing relocation brackets for the rear. They cost a bit of cash, but they will allow you to set an appropriate shackle angle, which will give you a better ride. Depending on which kit you get, and the shackle you use, you can get around 2" of lift. Keep in mind that using shackles to get lift will change your pinion angle, possibly causing vibrations.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
jrome39
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for reply and yes measurements are right I just did an axle swap dana 35 to dana 44 so im thinking the 44 raised the back up a little also my front coils look shot the bottom half of coils has space in between but the top is stacked tight with no space between metal so I got some cheap spacers from autozone and some chevy lowering shackles heard they work for a 2 inch lift on an xj and maybe some helper springs in back to keep shackles from sagging the leafs this is what I can afford right now do you think this set up would hold up for a while until I can save up for new lift kit?
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrome39 View Post
[snip]...this is what I can afford right now. Do you think this set up would hold up for a while until I can save up for a new lift kit?
Unless there is some safety issue, I'd suggest living with it until you can afford to do it right.
Why spend money on stuff now, only to replace that stuff with new stuff later?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Look up doing a bastard pack, you will get a better return on that than you will making your worn out ones invert with longer shackles.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
jrome39
1991 XJ Cherokee 

ok will look into doing a bastard pack wasnt sure about shackle lift some say its bad for springs and others say its the angle of the shackle if its at a 45 degree angle it wont stress the leaf pack Il try an get my hands on some xj leafs and build a pack as far as coil spacer up front some places want 200 bucks just for two front spacers would the cheap auto part store ones work?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.