Lift questions?!?!?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lift questions?!?!??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
clab0603
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lift questions?!?!??

Hey guys I just started installing my 4.5" Rough Country X-series lift. I got the rear done and put some new shackles that are 2" drop from auto-zone. I am done with the rear. My question is when all said and done will I get away with no SYE needed off the bat. I understand most need it in future but how long can I last without. Also kit comes with a t case drop which should help as well! Please give input in your rides and suggestions! Thanks

clab0603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Start with what you have(tcasedrop) and you might just be alright at that height. 97+ are more common for vibes but ive seen a 98 at 9.5 and 8.5 actually drive just fine with only the drop, wears out your joints faster
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
clab0603
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea that is good idea! Mine is a 96 so hopefully ill be fine. I finished rear and drove down road today and it vibrated like hell! But hopefully that's just because once side is so much higher
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You will need to drop your crossmember using a spacer kit or install a SYE to avoid driveline vibrations even when you do get the front suspension in.

4 degree shims for your rear axle perches will help point the pinion up at the Tcase where it belongs and that will help quite a bit too, but the slip yoke being pulled out and at a poor angle for 1 Ujoint can only be corrected with a SYE and double cardan driveshaft.

Baseline outfiters sells a complete SYE kit for 150 on sale once in a while and usually around 170. IRO sells a HnT SYE for about 50 less.

A front driveshaft from any automatic XJ will be a good replacement for your rear DS when the SYE is installed.
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floreancig_XJ View Post
Start with what you have(tcasedrop) and you might just be alright at that height. 97+ are more common for vibes but ive seen a 98 at 9.5 and 8.5 actually drive just fine with only the drop, wears out your joints faster
A 8.5 and 9.5" lifts with only a t case drop and no vibes? No way. The driveshaft would fall out, especially if it was articulating the suspension.
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
clab0603
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just pulled back my boot on rear drive shaft and it's pretty far extended I hope it works with t case drop!
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

SYE's are required for lifts past 4.5" I would not drive it until you do a SYE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.