lift problems...help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > lift problems...help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 09-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
01cherokeespot

lift problems...help

Hey everyone this is my first post on here ..ive decided to install my rough country 4.5 long arm kit this weekend on my 01 xj and ive started the rear so far and ran into some problems. Ive cleaned the whole underside of my xj and pb blastered it for a week straight. everythings off in the rear except the front leaf bolts. The one i broke loose and and it backed out just about all the way but seems to be stuck on something on the very end. Any one have an idea how i should go about this? the other one i just couldnt budge i dont have any air tools so i was using a 12 inch breaker bar and a piece of pipe so i soaked it again and gonna give it another shot tomorrow. And also the top mounts to the shocks all snapped right off..i heated them up too. Should i try to drill through the and tap them? sorry if these are noob questions this is my first lift, Any help is aprecciated

Last edited by 01cherokeespot; 09-21-2012 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: mispelled
01cherokeespot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Leaf bolts - For the one that's stuck at the end tighten it some and grind or file the end to bevel at the last thread or two. It may be rolled or whatever and preventing it from coming off. For the one that won't break loose if you can heat the nut to break the rust. Either that or keep doing what you're doing but you run the risk of breakage.

For the shock mount drilling and tapping may be your only option.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
01cherokeespot

thanks i just found a good write up for the shock mounts... but for the leaf bolts if i cut the end off what will the bolt screw into when i put the new leafs on?
Unread 09-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
01cherokeespot

and sorry but what do u exactly mean by rolled?
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

I had to cut inside of frame and put new nut/ bolt I'm there. Bolt was rusted and broke tack welds inside. The other was rusted th the bushing sleeve. I believe he means the bushing sleeve could have been squished making the bolt removal difficult.
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01cherokeespot View Post
and sorry but what do u exactly mean by rolled?
I think it's a TJ thing, you can't do what he said on an XJ.
Knock those shock bolts out of the holes and use new ones.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The front leaf bolts may be stuck in the metal collar in the bushings, thats what mine did, I had to cut the leaf springs off, the cut away the bushings and got to the collar with a cuttoff wheel, cut a slit in them then pry them away until they come off, then the bolt comes right out. And if your rough country leaf packs are like mine you are going to need a bottle jack and some patience to get them into place.
JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
01cherokeespot

Thanks every one i got the one out by pryin on it really hard with another person and spinning it out...the other one i cut off on both side of the leaf and got it to come..i went to the chrysler dealership and got two new bolts so they went in fine...and putting the new leafs on was fairly easy i pushed the shackle all the way forward because from what i heard thats how it makes ur schackle angle anyway and just jacked the differential up with a floor jack. I lubed everything up in the front again and and will doing that tomorrow..thanks again

Tags
bolt failure , broke , leaf , rough country long arm , shock mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.