JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Lift kit labor cost? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/lift-kit-labor-cost-162202/)

4x4cherokee6 05-15-2005 07:44 PM

Lift kit labor cost?

What all do I need to install a 3.5'' lift besides the kit? How big of a jack? Would it be easier to have a shop install it, how much do they run on labor ushually?

Dannyboy18 05-15-2005 07:49 PM

It cost me $550 to have everything you see in my sig. installed (just labor). That means kit, DS, wheel balanced and mount, etc.... (well, besides the stereo stuff).

Not a bad deal IMO; especially since I had the cash to go through it...

--Dan.

creature 05-15-2005 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4cherokee6
What all do I need to install a 3.5'' lift besides the kit? How big of a jack? Would it be easier to have a shop install it, how much do they run on labor ushually?

A shop will usually charge your like 60 bucks an hour. If you want to do it your self you will need a good socket and wrench set, lots of PB Blaster, a floor jack preferably 4 jack stands but you can get away with 2, and the knowledge that you will break atleast one bolt so you don't freak out when it happens.

Oh yeah, and read the directions a few times before you actually take apart your rig, best of luck. :wave:

89xj4x41 05-15-2005 07:53 PM

i think it would cost you a couple pizzas for u and ur buddy along with a few many beers. :D

Silver TeeJay 05-15-2005 07:55 PM

Rule of thumb is:

$100.00 per inch of Lift
$50-60 an hour for Misc stuff!

At least that's what I was told - LOL!

barillms 05-15-2005 08:04 PM

It's hard to do yourself, I'm not a mechanic, but I know how to work on vehicles pretty well. You need to take apart things in certain order, you'll be busting knuckles left and right. You'll be sore the next day. It's fun, but somtimes frustrating especially if you've never lifted a vehicle before. I'd say, find a mechanic who's has a decent garage at his house - a friend of a friend or whomever you trust to do a good job - offer him $200 to do the lift.
For a mechanic it's not hard work, they're used to it. You'll save a bunch doing it that way if you're not up for a 10 hour project yourself.

4x4cherokee6 05-15-2005 08:08 PM

I would say I'm mechanically inclined, dropped my engine in (with the help on a mechanic) but learned alot from that. Even though he forgot a dowl pin and cost me $950 for work and parts. I think I might just have someone do it and save me time.

XJ96PA 05-15-2005 08:53 PM

It's not that hard IMO. Plus you always have the guys here at Jeepforum to help you if your stuck!

jeepkid8037 05-15-2005 09:35 PM

i would install it yourself. I am recievieng my rusty's 4.5 system and some other parts on friday, and plan on doing all of the labor myself. It might take a little longer, but the knowledge that i will gain from the installation will be well worth it, IMO.

Fozzy_Bear 05-15-2005 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4cherokee6

I have a quote in my hands from a local shop. For a RE 3.5 they want 7 hours @ $65 per for a total of $455.00 I asked about getting some things from the internet and they told me their price was $65 installing parts I bought from them, $70 if I supplied the parts from somewhere else.

cmotsvt 05-15-2005 10:17 PM

It always helps to have a "hot wrench" on hand for suspension work.

FrankZ 05-15-2005 11:48 PM

Do a google search for 4x4 clubs/websites in your area. You'll be amazed at what you can get done with a little help and a Mechanics Combo Meal....that's pizza and beer. :p

isezumi00 05-16-2005 03:40 AM

Its almost not worth it for a 3" kit, you are often paying more for labor than for the kit.

I could maybe see it for like a 6"-8" kit, because you are pretty much replaceing every stinking piece of your entire suspension and braking system.

Rock Kustoms 05-16-2005 05:02 AM

mine cost me and my buddy 16 hours straight, then 8 hours of work, then another 4 hours till everything was done

i refuse to pay to get my jeep worked on, the knowlegde gained is great

and i proudly drive around with a "BUILT NOT BOUGHT" sticker on my window

jpringlemn 05-16-2005 07:07 AM

If you have the time and the tools do it yourself, it seems the only holdback is you've never put one in? I've put in 4 lifts to date, nothing difficult.... It's a matter of removing one part and replacing another. The only hangup as one person already said is the broken bolt or bushing that may be siezed or need to be cut off. Do one end at a time, allow twice as much time as you think it will take, get someone to help you if possible ( even if they don't know what a jeep is ) Read up on everything before you start so you have a basic understanding how it goes together and what special tools may be required. Start by spraying penetrating oil a few days before you plan to work on the nuts and bolts. If you have to pay someone to put it in, that's ok... You are not any less of a jeeper! I know some people who over play that "built not bought" senerio a little too much, although they might have supplied the beer while their buddies did 90% of the work :laugh: :eek: Good luck, and post if you run into any problems. :wave:

The time now is 07:18 AM.