JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   lift help! READ THIS (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/lift-help-read-154328/)

ATX XJ 04-15-2005 11:12 PM

lift help! READ THIS

hey guys i need some help...i really want a 4.5 inch lift and 33's but my step dad is a hardass and an engineer who knows all about COG and says its just not safe enuff to do it. i know its less safe but im a fairly responsible driver and i could handle it. any ideas for helpin me convince him to let me lift her?

balloo93 04-15-2005 11:36 PM

With the offset rims you're running, you could probably go about 3" and maintain close to factory COG. The alternative is to take a saw-zaw to the fender flares and fit 33's that way.

jcr23 04-16-2005 12:20 AM

bah, not safe... thats rediculous :p

TheWombaT 04-16-2005 01:09 AM

How badly is the handling of a Jeep effected by a 3" raise? Im considering one for my Jeep but I'm also aware of COG and other issues of that matter.

Not to derail thread but its semi-on topic

balloo93 04-16-2005 03:33 AM

I look at it like this:

3" lift means (as a loose standard) 31" tires. Those are wider than the stock tires, thus adding a bit of stability.

Add to that, even as little as 4.5" of BS (stock BS is 5.25") on a 15x8" rim will give you a even wider stance. Approx 2" wider at each tire, so 4" wider in total. Use a 4" (or 3.75") and gain about 5-5.5" of stance, not including the wide of the wide pattern over the 8" of rim.

Keep the sway bars on the front and back, and there will be little to no change in the handling. If you are worried about the rear getting a little sloppy, summitracing.com sells some bolt on load leveler helper springs that will actually tighten up the rear as well. These units are easily bolted on and off.

badron 04-16-2005 03:59 AM

Maybe you could talk him into a two inch lift and 31. If he an old man like me he don't like being push (to hard) give him time. Put big pic of lifted Cherokee all over the house. If your real smart you make him think it's his idea. LUCK.

Rock Kustoms 04-16-2005 08:10 AM

yeah, 6" lift, 33's and NO sway bars, and my jeep handles better than stock

ATX XJ 04-16-2005 11:44 AM

what he keeps saying is that the couple inches of stance i gain from wider tires/wheels is not enough to compensate for the raised COG of a lift. hell he wont even consider 2 inches of lift right now, which is kinda annoying. ill be on my own in a year or so tho so i guess if i cant convince him anytime soon ill just do it in a year or 2

JIMBOJAMES 04-16-2005 11:53 AM

Man those kind of issues is why my Jeep title and insurance is in my name. I pay for everything on my Jeep, and I am junior in college. Its tough but I am do whatever I want to it.

Carp.xj 04-16-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balloo93
I look at it like this:

3" lift means (as a loose standard) 31" tires. Those are wider than the stock tires, thus adding a bit of stability.

Add to that, even as little as 4.5" of BS (stock BS is 5.25") on a 15x8" rim will give you a even wider stance. Approx 2" wider at each tire, so 4" wider in total. Use a 4" (or 3.75") and gain about 5-5.5" of stance, not including the wide of the wide pattern over the 8" of rim.

Keep the sway bars on the front and back, and there will be little to no change in the handling. If you are worried about the rear getting a little sloppy, summitracing.com sells some bolt on load leveler helper springs that will actually tighten up the rear as well. These units are easily bolted on and off.

couldn't have said it better......

33x12.5 tires are nice and wide.....really stable!!
4.5" of lift isn't really that much compared to today's lifted trucks. You are proposing a 4.5" w/ 33s. This is a great combo: the typical small lift with big tires setup (low COG). Some guys run 5.5 to 8" lifts on XJs, now for these your step dad would have reason to be concerned.....

I run what you are proposing, it is great, and very stable. It isn't a sports car obviously, but thats not the point. I used to run 31s, now I run 33s which are even more stable. I only use my front swaybar, sometimes not even it, and I'm still fine.

You could try to argue that sitting a little higher may actually increase safety a little, around all of the monster SUVs on the road today. Sedans/ small, low sitting vehicles get crushed in accidents by the heavy weight trucks/SUVs of today.

Good luck.

By the way, there are countless engineers who offroad with their lifted 4x4 vehicles. They know what they are doing. I know an mechanical engineer who works for the University of California and owns an amazing '71 Bronco modified to run 35s.......

gr8fuldead 04-16-2005 01:12 PM

im running 31s on a 3 inch lift and i can do pretty much everything that people with bigger tires are doing!!! My advice to you is buy a 3 inch lift with 31s and save your money

xjj33p3r 04-16-2005 01:36 PM

You might want to consider trimming like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../crazymofo.jpg
3" lift with 38's. That's the biggest tire I've EVER seen fit on a 3" lift... ever.

ATX XJ 04-16-2005 03:24 PM

im young enuff that i cant legally own the jeep with the title in my name even tho i paid for it in full. but man that one with the 38's on 3 inches of lift is just freaky....talk about some serious trimming. thx for all the ideas guys. im gonna pitch the safer with bigger SUV's idea and see how that goes.

Dannyboy18 04-16-2005 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tealcherokee
yeah, 6" lift, 33's and NO sway bars, and my jeep handles better than stock

Ditto. After my RE 3.5" SuperRide lift, OME shocks, and 31x10.50s on 3.75" BS rims, my Jeep rides and handles better than stock.

Sure, you'll feel the steering will be a tad difference because of more tire tread and bigger lugs, but the overall handling is much better; everything feels more put-together.

--Dan.

EricsXJ 04-16-2005 11:42 PM

Question is are you a responsible driver?

Fact #1: a lifted vehicle has a higher COG

Fact #2: a wider stance can offset the effects of a higher COG

my opinion: a responsible driver of a lifted jeep with higher COG is SAFER than an irresponsible driver of a stock SUV

If he doesn't want you to do it, then don't. Why create bad feelings between you? Wait the year or two and in the meantime save your money so when its yours, you can get the lift and modifications you want instead of rushing into it now.

The time now is 10:40 PM.