Which Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Which Lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 12-24-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

Which Lift?

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/2-lift-kit-p-5405.html
http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/2-lift-kit-p-5404.html
http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Product....asp?ID=193478

Well since the XJ is going to be a daily driver for another year I have decided to just go 2-3in of lift for now. So with that any of you experts think one of these is better to get than the other? Or does anyone have any suggestions on another full kit between 2-3in? I don't really have the time or resources to do my own budget boost lift. I am in a new area and don't know any place to look for the things needed.
So any help on the decision of these kits would be greatly appreciated.
Also I am looking for some soft 8's and some BFG A/T. Anyone know of any online stores that might have decent deals? I have looked on a few like quadratec and 4wheelcustoms..any others?

Again thanks for any help and input. I am just trying to get something for now to give a more aggressive look and fit some bigger tires.

Unread 12-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thats all the same kit. but ya cant go wrong with rubicon express. they make a quality product. many will tell ya the same about them. if ya have the money OME makes a nice 3''. havent had any experience with OME but it seems like people really enjoy the ride quality of that one. and if ya do go with the RE 2''. consider pickin it up from jason at jeepinoutfitters.com. FREE SHIPPING.

as far as the soft 8's you can get them cheap..check out jegs.com they offer those for about 38 bucks a piece. and the BFG's would be a great tire for DD..and if moneys hurtin the general grabber AT2's are also another option. alot cheaper.

since its only gonna be a DD for another year, might even think about just goin bigger now?

hope that helped..my first informative/helpful post ive had to offer here at jeepforum haha
99XJburton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yea appreciate the input. I for now am on a budget..we just bought the wife a new car. I do plan on going bigger but for now I just need to get something on the Jeep that will keep me satisfied with it until the funds are available and it isn't going to be drove daily.
afbond03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
red_01_xj
XJ Cherokee 

i say the second one...mainly cuz I dont believe RE sells a 2.25" lift...see if you can get the part numbers for both and compare them on RE's website
4.5" RE Super Flex, Mono Tubes, 31" BFG AT, WJ seats Front and rear, Boxed Rocker panels with Rails, Upcountry Junkyard Special, homemade front bumper, C4x4 rear bumper and swing out, low profile light bar, jks disconects, farmboy tail lights lebaron hood vents, teraflex sye, Dana 30 HP with factory 4.56 disco converted to solid shafts, with powertrax, Dana 44 with detriot true trac with 4.56 and ZJ disc brakes...and the best part is all of my major mods are used

Ebay items http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZred01xj
red_01_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 01:47 AM   #5
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't buy any of thse kits. If you have plans to go larger in the near future, 18 months or less. There isn't any magical RE dust in those kits. The shocks aren't anything special. U-bolts can be had from a number of reliable sources. The coil spacers are good, but once again Tera, Daystar? and other companies make easily an equivalent part. I personally wouldn't buy a kit with blocks for the rear either. I would bet fair money too that their AAL isn't any better than say Rough Country. Really I think all you get in this kit is the RE name.

I personally would buy a coil spacer and AAL and leave the extra money for the real lift. Then you can buy a RE lift where you actually are getting what you are paying for, springs, control arms and the like, instead of just renting their name.

I would rather keep my existing shocks unless they were really worn as these RE's might be too short for your next lift depending upon how high you think you might go. I'd hate to spend $275 plus installation fee's (breaking off shock bolts and other rusted fasteners) then find out that you have to replace every component when you buy a better lift.

Another option might be a lift similar to this: http://www.quadratec.com/products/76190_803.htm Saves you money on purchase price and installation. Allows you to roll those dollars towards a real lift later on. These parts are easier to resell than a AAL or a block as well.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
AlexsXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the same boat you are except for one thing, my rear springs are sagging. The Jeep is going to be used as a DD for a brand new driver and I don't want to get crazy on the lift...yet.

People here hate using blocks or short AALs to raise a rear end, and have advised many of us newbies to stay away from them. I plan on buying a full leaf pack with a two inch lift and then a spacer for the front. New shocks all around.
Unread 12-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
Scottmc01
1993 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...?idproduct=112

same kit but gives you the option of a full length AAL instead of the half length.
30" Bighorns on V5's
Scottmc01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yea that is the kit I am leaning more towards.I def. would do the full length AAL.
I really want the RE 3.5" with full packs. I might just buy that kit and then wait till I get more money for a SYE. Could someone point me to SYE for a 98 Automatic? I have read through the SYE thread but it gets overwhelming on finding the correct one. Thanks.
Unread 12-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
Macnasty
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You need to choose your sye by your transfer case. If you have 2hi, part-time 4, 4hi, and 4lo then you have a 242. If you have 4hi-4lo and 2hi then you have a 231. With the 242 you basically have to do the "hack and tap." With a 231 you have a couple of different options. Knowing this try to go back and read it, it may be easier to understand.
Unread 12-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey thanks alot Macnasty. That was simple enough.
afbond03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 12:39 AM   #11
afbond03
2007 JK Wrangler 

Alright well I think for now I am going to go with Teraflex 1.5" BB, Cragar soft 8's 15x7/ 5 on 4.5"/4.0 BS, and 30X9.5R15 General Grabber AT2. Will I have any rubbing problems with this set up? I don't see it being wheeled hardcore like.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76190_803.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92601_4XX_B_PG.htm
http://www.treadepot.com/group/grat.html
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:03 AM   #12
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afbond03
Alright well I think for now I am going to go with Teraflex 1.5" BB, Cragar soft 8's 15x7/ 5 on 4.5"/4.0 BS, and 30X9.5R15 General Grabber AT2. Will I have any rubbing problems with this set up? I don't see it being wheeled hardcore like.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76190_803.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92601_4XX_B_PG.htm
http://www.treadepot.com/group/grat.html
I don't think you'll encounter any troubles, especially when on-road. My first lift was at 3" with 30" BFG MT's. Who knows what it settled to. I had my BFG's mounted on my factory steel rims. I had to add a washer behind the steering stops to prevent them from rubbing my lower control arms when at full steering lock.

The only other rubbing I had was when I was really twisted up off-road. And that could have been prevented by throwing a hockey puck in-between the coils up front.

I would think your going to experience the same thing. Unfortunately lifting Jeeps isn't an exact science, but if you search around you'll find people that have run 30's when stock.

Don't feel like you have to buy that Tera kit. You can buy coil spacers and shackles separately from other manufacturers, although i personally haven't priced it. Try Jason @ Jeepin Outfitters he has good reviews in terms of customer service. Otherwise DC4WD.com has really great Tera prices as well as RE. Both are vendors here and if you PM Jason he has a discount code. Not sure about DC4WD, but might want to check his thread in the vendors forum.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i'm going to save my money and get a OME 2" full kit.
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:53 AM   #14
AKJeep89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal
i'm going to save my money and get a OME 2" full kit.
How much are the OEM lifts? what all do they come with?

[B]-191,800+ Miles![/B]
-Thrush 25" Glass-Pack!
-100hp worth of stickers!
AKJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 02:00 AM   #15
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJeep89
How much are the OEM lifts? what all do they come with?
3" kit
2" kit

and btw, I did not say OEM as in Originial Equip Manuf, I meant the OME company lol

I might go with 3", but it will most likely be 2" I want a stock looking jeep with some attitude, nothing too crazy. plus I don't feel like dealing with YSE and stuff, so another reason to stay with 2"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.