Lets try this again, nasty howl from the axle, wasnt there before it was "fixed" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lets try this again, nasty howl from the axle, wasnt there before it was "fixed"

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What i really want to know is why after putting in a good straight axleshaft that the rear end all of a sudden is making noise? It starts around 15mph and goes throughout the full range while city or HW driving. It DID NOT do this before but now it does? Ill have to check the end bearings and see if it is coming from them but in the front seat it sounds like the Pumpkin.

Also: if i can get the carrier and gears from the JY for cheap can i just pop them in? What would that entail?

95JeepFactory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
dkg4244
1983 CJ8 

Just call it a day and spend $150 to $200 on a 1997+ Chrysler 8.25 from a JY. You won't be chasing down this whine or worry about these damaged parts. By the time you're done throwing money at your wrecked D35 you would have already bought a new rear end from the JY.
dkg4244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
ikenchute
1998 XJ Cherokee 

"and that threaded disc thing and had a hell of a time getting it back in right. The bearing that from what i can see it rests against wanted to push it back everytime i tried to screw it in more."

that's the problem rite there!

you don't remove that to replace the axle shaft.
now if it's not too late (for the bearings and gears) you need to have the backlash/bearing preload adjusted now by someone that knows what they are doing.
no more driving until it's fixed.
RE6200 EXTREME-DUTY™ SHORT ARM 5.5-INCH: Aussie Lockers in both HP D30 and Chry 8.25 with 4:56's ZJ rear disc's ABS delete 3103-27 cv SYE
ikenchute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #19
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikenchute View Post
"and that threaded disc thing and had a hell of a time getting it back in right. The bearing that from what i can see it rests against wanted to push it back everytime i tried to screw it in more."

that's the problem rite there!

you don't remove that to replace the axle shaft.
now if it's not too late (for the bearings and gears) you need to have the backlash/bearing preload adjusted now by someone that knows what they are doing.
no more driving until it's fixed.
Um it popped out when i loosened the c clip and at first i couldn't figure out WHAT it was until i asked my old timer neighbor and he said to put i back in, screwed all the way tight.

How is the backlash adjusted on that particular peice? Chances are i can get it to a axle shop later today
Unread 04-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg4244 View Post
Just call it a day and spend $150 to $200 on a 1997+ Chrysler 8.25 from a JY. You won't be chasing down this whine or worry about these damaged parts. By the time you're done throwing money at your wrecked D35 you would have already bought a new rear end from the JY.
x2, It a jeep axle and there are tons of them in junk yards. Heck i have 3 of them at home. d35 and c8.35, 3.07 or 3.55. If you drive to flint, MI you can have them

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowicz96 View Post
x2, It a jeep axle and there are tons of them in junk yards. Heck i have 3 of them at home. d35 and c8.35, 3.07 or 3.55. If you drive to flint, MI you can have them
I totally would but the only other car i have access to is a Dodge neon- hardly enough room for my 6'4 180lb frame to fit in
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95JeepFactory View Post
the whole gearing unit in the pumpkin can move side to side aswell though
There's your reason for the howling/ whining noise. I suggest start looking for a '96+ 29-spline 8.25 out of an XJ with correct gear ratio. If you want to go the other route and have the bearings and R&P replaced and set-up, you're looking at something in the region of 500+ for the parts + work. A good condition JY axle shouldn't be more than 200-300 + new u-bolts..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
There's your reason for the howling/ whining noise. I suggest start looking for a '96+ 29-spline 8.25 out of an XJ with correct gear ratio. If you want to go the other route and have the bearings and R&P replaced and set-up, you're looking at something in the region of 500+ for the parts + work. A good condition JY axle shouldn't be more than 200-300 + new u-bolts..
Im going to try and properly torque the lockers for the carrier and failing that then i will go and find a good replacement. Either way ill be out a couple bucks for the rod and 36mm knut and maybe i might find a way to put on my 4.10 geared Dana 44s off my old Comanche. IF that would take an afternoon without major modding that is.
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Oh, crap I didn't notice there was a few more new posts on the second page when I posted...damn mobile- phone browsing

Yeah, you shouldn't have removed the carrier bearing setup-/ preloading screws. If they popped right out when removing the c-clips and shafts, you already had a major problem with the axle. That is also the reason your carrier bearing setup is now all screwed-up.

Also, your neighbor was all wrong with the info on screwing them all the way in. They need to be adjusted by checking the backlash/ gear pattern on the gears. You need some special tools for addjusting gear patterns (a dial gauge and an adjustable magnetic clamp for it). Do not try it without them!

Chances are, because of the big play on the carrier, the bearings and gears are already destroyed by driving your Jeep. How much driving did you do with the bad bearing setup?

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #25
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

..actually, I don't even get it how did you manage to remove those threaded adjusters in the first place? They are located between the axle housing and the carrier bearings, so they should not come out without removing the carrier itself.. did you remove the carrier, and if so, why?

***Under construction***
Unread 04-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #26
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
..actually, I don't even get it how did you manage to remove those threaded adjusters in the first place? They are located between the axle housing and the carrier bearings, so they should not come out without removing the carrier itself.. did you remove the carrier, and if so, why?
I never removed the carrier, i did the following in this order:
removed the bolts on the c clip, pulled the clip, went to pull the axle shaft, heard a metallic clank and in the catch pan was the adjuster. Had no idea what it was so when i put everything back together i just put it in as much as i could by hand, then used a hooked peice of wire and got it to spin in a bit more.

As for the gears being trashed, they look beautiful. like there is no visible wear on them anywhere which confuses the hell out of me being that it is the origional axle with 170,000 on it
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #27
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95JeepFactory View Post
removed the bolts on the c clip, pulled the clip, went to pull the axle shaft, heard a metallic clank and in the catch pan was the adjuster.
There are NO bolts on the c-clips, they are held in place by the carrier center pin. The only retaining bolt you need to unbolt from inside the pumpkin when removing shafts is the very small (1/4"?) center pin retaining bolt on the carrier.

Look at the picture, the center pin retaining bolt is shown (which you need to remove):

Then you can slide out the center pin to have access to the c-clips. You can see the c-clips in this picture on the inside of the carrier, hanging slightly loose between the small pinion gears at the ends of the shafts:

Now, if you look at the above picture, one of the carrier bearing adjuster locking plate/ nut is at the very right of the picture on the carrier bearing cap. The other is not seen, it's just out of the picture to the left on the other bearing cap. If you do not remove the bearing caps and the adjuster retaining bolts, there is no way the adjuster ring should drop out when removing the shafts?

Quote:
As for the gears being trashed, they look beautiful. like there is no visible wear on them anywhere which confuses the hell out of me being that it is the origional axle with 170,000 on it
If the gears are ok, then they may be re-used. Anyways you gotta take it to a shop to have the bearings replaced and the gears set-up. Could be cheaper to get that JY axle.

Gears last for a long long time, in many cases WELL over the age of the rest of the vehicle.

***Under construction***
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #28
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Somebody may have already said it in all these posts but those adjusters have to be adjusted to set the carrier bearing preload. The carrier cannot have any side to side movement after it is properly setup. It should have a tiny bit of backlash movement but that is all the slack the carrier should have.
foggybottombob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #29
XJH-007

Man...what a ClusterPhuk

I think he just needs to swap a new axle in. It's his cheapest option. Between us telling him what to do and look for, and him not knowing/randomly taking stuff apart.....PLUS the fact that he's getting rid of the jeep and getting a grand am soon....

Wash the hands....DONE.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #30
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

That's why I recommended the axle swap in the first place

***Under construction***

Tags
8.25 , axle , cherokee , noise , whine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.