Left Marker Light Missing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Left Marker Light Missing

TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATEFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRI

Unread 03-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Tan1990

Left Marker Light Missing

So my problem is pretty simple.... I hope.
Just picked this Jeep up today as a DD so I can run my other one into the ground as my trail rig. So this is a 1996 XJ sport. I knew the left marker was missing but i didnt think it was torn off at the cables...
I have the most minimal experience possible when it comes to electrical work and im clueless as to how i can fix this. Do i need to replace the entirety of the cables or what? Any and all help is appreciated!
Happy wheelin' yall!

Tan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Tan1990

Left Marker Light Missing

So my fiancÚ gave me her old 96 XJ when she had bought a newer Jeep.
She knows I love XJs and now this is my second one. (And not the last hopefully). So she had told me that the orange marker lens on the passenger side was missing. I thought, no big deal. Easy fix, right? Well... I get it and find out its been torn clean off about halfway down the two cables that run into the bulb. And now im clueless... I have almost no experience with wiring and electrical work but im willing to learn a little through fixing this problem. I really don't know where to start other than acquiring a new marker lens and bulb. Any and all help is appreciated.
0312151546.jpg  
Tan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
jonsnw93
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would just get a new lens and call it good. Mine don't work anyway because the wiring harness is corroded
jonsnw93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's a pretty easy fix. You can get replacement bulb receptacles inexpensively at most auto parts stores. The receptacle then simply twist plugs into the back of the lense housing.

I prefer white side marker lenses on white XJs because they're noticeably less glaring on my eyes than the amber. I think you can get a pair of white lenses with amber bulbs for DOT compliance on ebay for around $30. You can also get the entire headlight assembly bezel there relatively inexpensively if yours is broken.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

No. You can splice into what's left of the cables as long as they still work. Remove any damage from the ends first.

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
twinkiedooter
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You should really use electrical butt end splice - preferably the waterproof kind you can get at auto stores. They crimp on the old wire and new wires. You must use a wire crimper tool. Same thing happened on my 97 XJ when I had to replace a marker light. The wire crimper tool is available on a Leatherman multi-tool PST super tool or WAVE. It is located at the base of the plires right under the wire cutter area. So if you have a multitool you are all set to do this repair and keep light from shorting out in the future. You can buy the solderless butt end splices which are easier to work with. It's less than a 10 min job if you have the lens cover. Lens covers can be found on Ebay for a song.
twinkiedooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.