LED Light Bar Mod Write Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > LED Light Bar Mod Write Up

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
nmiller015
1997 XJ Cherokee 

LED Light Bar Mod Write Up

A couple of people from my build thread said they wanted me to do a write up for how i added a tailgate light bar to the back of my 97 XJ. This is the way I did it, I'm sure there are a bunch of other ways it could be done.

These are the two things I ordered online:

-http://www.amazon.com/531044-49-Inch-4-Function-Universal-Tailgate/dp/B003TOT0F0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1303141839&sr=8-1
-Wiring Harness

The first step in this project is to install the Wiring Harness: Etrailer has a helpful video, if you don't know what to do, the video is located here: Install Wiring Harness

- I ran the 4-pole wire from the harness up the pillar to the area above the spare tire

- Also I used a spare 4-pole connector I had and added it in line with the wiring so that if i ever needed to tow anything, i had an extra connector:

-The next thing I did was to cut off the plastic lip that is on the top of the light bar, I used a band saw, but it could be done with a sharp utility knife, the plastic isn't too thick:

-The next thing to do is to make the tabs that will hold the light bar to the bottom of the liftgate. I made mine out of 1/8" bendable sheet aluminium, I made the tabs 3" x 1" and i bent them in half, like a hot dog roll.

-Then, I mocked up the light bar on the bottom of the liftgate, and marked where i wanted to mount the tabs to the liftgate, and the tabs to the light bar. I made 5 tabs, but only ended up using two, it seemed sturdy enough and I didn't want to hit any of the components for the latch mechanism inside the liftgate. Also be sure to align the light bar in the direct middle of the hatch.

-Then drill your holes in the tabs and the light bar so you can bolt them together. Make it so the top of the light bar is level with the bend on the tabs. Then you can bolt it together: I just used whatever I could find in my spare nuts and bolts box. I used 10-24" x 1" bolts, and cut off the ends.

-Now you want to drill the holes that go from the tab to the liftgate (holes can be seen in this picture):

- Then you have to drill the holes for the screw to go into. I placed the lightbar in the center where I wanted it to go and marked where I wanted my holes to go. When I drilled I placed the hole a hair above where my mark was so the light bar would be snug against the lip of the liftgate.

-Screw the lightbar + tabs to the liftgate:

-Now the light bar should be snug against the lip of the tailgate and look like this(you may have to adjust some of your holes if not):

-Now you want to fish the wire connected to your light bar up into the plastic trim piece on the liftgate:

-Then from the top of the trim, behind the rubber seal, into the trim on the top of the interior:

-Then you can plug the two together, I laid out the excess wire down the top trim piece toward the passenger side of the XJ:

- Done!

Unread 04-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
MeanGreenBean
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Beautiful!
Unread 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
coolsurfer88
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i had this all setup to do on my cherokee before i sold it and couldnt figure out how i wanted to mount it and then i sold the cherokee lol

awesome job though!
coolsurfer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Jcool
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thinks i found a new mod for my jeep!!

_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_) 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L
Jcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Masaga91
2009 KK Liberty 

dammmmmmnnnnnn it's freaking awesome, hahhahaha i am gonna do it on vacations
Masaga91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
nmiller015
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you guys like it

Also, the price of the light bar seems to have gone up on amazon, when I bought mine it was $18 shipped, thats one of the main reasons I did this mod, because the parts were so cheap. Oh well... I think theres some other ones made by different companies that are cheaper.
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's pretty sweet.
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
lyon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty cool. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these after offroading. Meaning through deep water/mud? Just wondering how they hold up. Thanks!
lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is your top brake light out? Or is that just the way the wiring worked out?

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
nmiller015
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Greenmachine View Post
Is your top brake light out? Or is that just the way the wiring worked out?
No that's the way it looks when the jeep is at idle/driving, when I hit the brakes the light bar glows brighter and the brake lights work as normal.

Unread 03-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
nmiller015
1997 XJ Cherokee 

UPDATE: Seems my lite-bar has bitten the dust, five or so lights are burnt out. I disconnected it cause it looks like crap, I'm gonna see if I can find another bar for cheap.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.