Led dash lights...specs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Led dash lights...specs?

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 05-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
cmarshall21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Led dash lights...specs?

I really like the cheap little mods I have seen people do where they change the color of their dash lights. I'm looking to do this in my XJ 97' to green but cant seem to find the specs for the bulbs.
Does anyone happen to know the specs ow where I can find the specs?

I hope its as simple as taking out the old bulbs and replacing the with the new led ones I get. If not does anyone have any tips? or Have done this mod?

cmarshall21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Just an FYI on the lighting. If you go ahead and put LED's in the dash cluster, don't put LED's in the blinker and hi-beam sockets. Those light shine directly straight at you and are somewhat blinding when driving at night. Just sayin'.

I did this and swapped the regular bulbs back in after a couple days. I still have LED's in all the other slots. I got my white faces and LED's on eBay.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
cmarshall21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Do you happen to still have the specs or pics of how yours came out?
cmarshall21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

T5 wedge base
194s for the dash, shifters, glovebox ect
74s for the HVAC

Don't quote me on it, but iirc the dash takes 5, glovebox 1, and one for each shifter. 3 for the HVAC.

I have all of mine swapped out and have no problems with the brightness on any of them, though on the older style dashes it's area lit rather than backlit so I dunno how bad it is on 97+.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
tim111762

Super easy project and worth the $15. I went blue LED and was happy with how they turned out. The only problem I had was a slight hot spot with the diff shifter. Not a big deal tho
tim111762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the cluster takes five #74s for the back lighting, all the other cluster bulbs are also #74s. 194s for the shifters, and neo5s or neo4s for the hvac and switches.

The hvac is kind of a waste of time though, it doesn't shine through very well.

You can use white paper in the shifters to eliminate hot spots.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarshall21 View Post
[snip]
I hope its as simple as taking out the old bulbs and replacing the with the new led ones I get. If not does anyone have any tips? or Have done this mod?
Just a note: After removing the stock bulbs, the contacts in the sockets may need to be tightened up to keep the LED in place. I used needle nose pliers on mine.

I know the cluster in a 97 is different than a 95, but installing LEDs was possibly the single best upgrade I've done
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Another note, the stock 97 cluster, the blue-green tint is built into the background of the gauge. There are ways around it, one of which is to find an older TJ cluster (they are white behind.. but missing some of the lights). You can try overpowering it with enough light that it barely effects it, or you can try one of a few different kits. (Full disclosure, one of which I make)

The stock panel you have is similar to this, although this is the dummy light version.

If you are doing the LED conversion, I recommend getting ones that are rated for 9-14V, and have a heat sink. They will last the longest. They wont be cheap either.
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

If you are doing the LED conversion, I recommend getting ones that are rated for 9-14V, and have a heat sink. They will last the longest. They wont be cheap either.
Do you have a link to these? Never seen ones like that.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I do somewhere.... Let me look.

Aha! it was in my email.

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

Low airflow, and variable voltage (dimming) don't lead to long LED life. Im on my 3rd set, and started to replace the ones I have with standard bulbs.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Google "light condoms" These are colored balloon like items that fit over lamps. Suitably colored "Sharpie" indelible markers work quite well.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dash lights , dashboard , LED lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.