LED Conversion Tips Needed - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > LED Conversion Tips Needed

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #31
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevsbmw View Post
I wasn't aware their was blue tape. I will look into this but I went with the blue lights instead of the red. Maybe I wont need to remove the tape. What did you end up doing for your dome light? I might send this PCB back.
If the LED's behind it are blue then don't bother to remove the tint strip but any other color i would recommend it.

My dome light I did with a G4b-xHP10-d from superbright, its ~10$ cheaper than the universal dome kit they sell, it looks like this.

It just sits inside on the lens, the connections to the dome light base need to be done better. I'm eventually going to put two of these in there and angle them outwards some, that's why there's no permanent mounting yet.

chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #32
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

and i guess the foglight switch takes a neo4 and a neo3 as well? cause that one has the indicator too
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #33
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I dont have a fog switch but if it follows suit it will have both yes.
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #34
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

alright sounds good, i'd like for all the middle ones to glow red but i dont know what kind of snags ill run into
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #35
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Chris what do you thing about running white LED's in the HVAC?
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #36
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

just ordered 5 of the 74-xHP3, to do my instrument cluster with, we'll see how it goes
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'll get about the stock colors, but brighter, and more "crisp" looking. The HVAC overlay has the tinting and the stock bulbs give off a dull yellowish light, the red areas will still be red but a bit lighter in color, the old blue-green areas will be a light blue color.

If you want a better idea of how it will look pull the HVAC controls out and put a led flash light up against the holes for the old bulbs (with the bulbs removed obviously), it should give you a good idea of what they will look like.

White LED's are the only LED's that give off all the colors, for example a red LED usually gives of light at ~630nm wavelength and no light at any other wavelength so it will only shine through red filters. so if you stick a blue filter in front of a red LED it will filter out all wavelengths that are not blue. White LED put off all colors but are not very efficient at producing one through a filter. Now if you put a 4000mcd white LED through a blue filter it filters out the red and green produced by the LED leaving you with ~1/3 of the LED's total light output (~1330mcd).
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #38
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'll be very happy with those. What color did you go with? Just remember that the 74's are polarized so it might take a few times of pulling the cluster in and out till they all light up. It took me 6 times because I wasn't getting good contact.

I just remembered something else that I had to do when I installed the 74's. The 74 bulb doesn't fit very snug into the illumination sockets that are in the cluster. I had my old dummy light cluster laying around and I used some of the other light sockets like the ones from the blinkers, check engine light etc. to install the 74's tightly. Maybe Chris can chime in on this. The Illumination sockets just seem to be a touch bigger than the rest of the sockets.

Shanker if you want to PM me I can send you 5 of the sockets you need if you pick up shipping.
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #39
Mark-96-XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What bulbs for the hvac controls?

[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]1996 XJ 5 Speed, 100% Herculined, Rough country 4.5, BFG A/T 33's[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]2012 Honda Ruckus, Stock for now, 114 MPG, Daily Rider[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marks-highschool-build-slow-1068542/"][COLOR="Red"]96' Build[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Mark-96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Neo4's you need two of them
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #41
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i went with blue, oh they didn't fit in good inside the stock sockets? that's weird, what kind of cluster do you have? sport? classic? SE?
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mark who is that babe? Is that your sister?
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #43
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When I bought the Jeep I had an SE cluster. One of the first things I did was switch to a sport cluster. When I got the LED's in the mail the other day I went into my garage and grabbed my SE cluster so I could install the LED's and have everything ready to go when I pulled my dash apart. This is where I noticed the Illumination sockets hold a little bit larger bulb then the other sockets. So I just used 5 sockets from other gauges and made it work with that.
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #44
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevsbmw View Post
I just remembered something else that I had to do when I installed the 74's. The 74 bulb doesn't fit very snug into the illumination sockets that are in the cluster. I had my old dummy light cluster laying around and I used some of the other light sockets like the ones from the blinkers, check engine light etc. to install the 74's tightly. Maybe Chris can chime in on this.
I had one that didn't fit snug and was getting bad contact, I just bent the contact in a little with a small screwdriver, it works fine to this day. I don't know about the differences between the sockets aside from the different colors.
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-96-XJ View Post
What bulbs for the hvac controls?
I've got no idea what the 96 HVAC bulbs are, they might not be neo4's, it wouldn't hurt to pull the unit and check before you order them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.