LED Conversion Tips Needed - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > LED Conversion Tips Needed

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #16
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

anyone still on here!? haha

Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanker67 View Post
okay 1 more question, i have a jeepcherokee sport so i have all the gauges and whatnot, how many bulbs would i need for all the gauges, speedo,oil,temp,gas,tach,volts all that? i saw up there it said 5 plus indicators? indicators mean highbeams and blinks or ?
indicators are all the extra warning lights, Check Engine, Check Guages, Seat Belt, High Beams, Blinkers, ect. The set of 5 is for the backlights, this is the light behind all the gauge faces and illumination of the gauge needles.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
ahuf
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Can you still use the dimmer for the lights?
97-01 headlight switch turn and it dimmers the lights inside the cab or turn it all the way and it turns all the lights on inside the cab.
ahuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuf View Post
Can you still use the dimmer for the lights?
97-01 headlight switch turn and it dimmers the lights inside the cab or turn it all the way and it turns all the lights on inside the cab.
you can dim them slightly, its barely enough to notice the difference between full bright and dimmest. The most effective way to dim them is to use a PWM (pulse width modulation) power supply, but that's a lot of extra hardware just to dim 5 LED's.
Unread 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
you can dim them slightly, its barely enough to notice the difference between full bright and dimmest. The most effective way to dim them is to use a PWM (pulse width modulation) power supply, but that's a lot of extra hardware just to dim 5 LED's.
x2. I did the LED conversion on mine, and the lights are bright but not blinding. The LEDs have a more direct light which helps the gauges to appear much more clear and defined at night, without being distracting. I never used the dimmer feature anyway.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks chris, do you know how many of them there are total? i can take it apart and count but if you know that would save me some time
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanker67 View Post
thanks chris, do you know how many of them there are total? i can take it apart and count but if you know that would save me some time
i don't even know, i know the 5 back lights, 2 blinkers, 1 high beam, 1 CEL, 1 seat belt, 1 low fuel, 1 check gauges, 1 4wd part time, 1 4wd full time, 1 sentry key, 1 cruise. There might be others i'm forgetting, most people don't bother to change them, they're not on long enough to make a power difference in power draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
Here's a tip.

Don't put an LED in the brights indicator. Mine is TOO bright and shines right in my eyes when I'm driving at night with the brights on. I'm going to be pulling my cluster and just putting a regular bulb in there.
and there also this problem to consider as well, but if you do it, use the single LED's, they're cheaper, and because the bulb is right behind the indicator you only need the top firing LED anyways.
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #23
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

haha alright, ill just get the 5 to start, thanks for all your help! ill let you kno when i post my thread
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I installed the lights that I got from superbrightleds.com and... I really like how the dash, T-case and shifter came out. Very even light distribution and very bright. Unfortunaly I was not too happy with how the HVAC came out. I went with neo4 red bulbs for this and there is just not enough light. I ordered three lights for the HVAC but you only needed two. I'm debating sending these back and getting some blue bulbs. Another problem I ran into was the defrost and wiper switches take a neo4 bulb but I ordered neo3's for these. The defrost has two lights to it one for the indicator and one for the backlight. The indicator does take a neo3 and the backlight a neo4. I just used my left over neo4 from the HVAC and really like how the defrost looks. I'm not very happy with my dome light either. I got the PCB and hot glued it into place. When you look at the light you can see the square outline of the lights. It does put out a ton of light though I'll give it that. I'll take some pictures tonight to show you guys the new lights.
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #25
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevsbmw View Post
Well I installed the lights that I got from superbrightleds.com and... I really like how the dash, T-case and shifter came out. Very even light distribution and very bright. Unfortunaly I was not too happy with how the HVAC came out. I went with neo4 red bulbs for this and there is just not enough light. I ordered three lights for the HVAC but you only needed two. I'm debating sending these back and getting some blue bulbs. Another problem I ran into was the defrost and wiper switches take a neo4 bulb but I ordered neo3's for these. The defrost has two lights to it one for the indicator and one for the backlight. The indicator does take a neo3 and the backlight a neo4. I just used my left over neo4 from the HVAC and really like how the defrost looks. I'm not very happy with my dome light either. I got the PCB and hot glued it into place. When you look at the light you can see the square outline of the lights. It does put out a ton of light though I'll give it that. I'll take some pictures tonight to show you guys the new lights.
I had the same problem with my HVAC. Specifically the passenger side that has the hot and cold adjustment. The problem is that LEDs give off a different wavelength of light (why the gauges are blue not green like they use to be). The HVAC controls have a colored film behind them which filters out certain colors of light. If you use blue LEDs the blue things will be brighter, same if you use red. I found the best looking solution was to use a normal bulb on the passenger side and an LED on the driver side.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #26
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i was wondering about the film on the HVAC knobs and labels, no matter what color you get it seems the film would jsut filter it anyway, wonder if there is anyway round that
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #27
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Im not really happy with the way my HVAC turned out either, the tinting on the overlay doesn't let very much red light through. There's no easy way to remove the tinting either, so I've just kind of accepted that its going to be that way, I don't use the HVAC controls that much anyways.

I could have sworn the switches were neo3's all around but its been about a year since I did mine, sorry about that.

Did you remove the blue tinting strip from the shift bezel? I replaced mine with 3 layers of white paper, looks nice during the day and dims the LED some at night.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #28
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wasn't aware their was blue tape. I will look into this but I went with the blue lights instead of the red. Maybe I wont need to remove the tape. What did you end up doing for your dome light? I might send this PCB back.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #29
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

damn now im all confused besides the 74's all i was gonna do was red on my HVAC, Fog, Defrost, and rear wiper, so which ones are neo3's and which ones are neo4's now?
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #30
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

HVAC takes two neo4 bulbs. The defrost takes a neo4 for the backlight and a neo3 for the indicator. The rear wiper takes a neo4.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.