LED Conversion Tips Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > LED Conversion Tips Needed

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

LED Conversion Tips Needed

I attempted to do the LED Conversion on my interior lights last week. I did tons of research on peoples threads and thought I made the right purchasing decision. I ordered my lights through Autolumination.com and got them in a timely matter. Unfortunately I royally screwed up the order and not one of the bulbs would fit. I ordered new general gauge cluster lights, blinker indicators, high beam indicator, HVAC lights, Dome light, Tranny and 4X4 indicator lights, and a couple bulbs for my rear defrost and wiper. I sent everything back but now am afraid I'm going to order the wrong lights again.

Has anybody done the LED conversion and ordered from these guys? What really sucks is there is no documentation of my order so I cant ensure not to order the wrong bulbs again. Can anybody steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Unread 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
theblonde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

TayTayTJ installed these in her 98 TJ
http://www.ledunderbody.com/Pink-4pc...hting-Kit.aspx
Comes with hardware and free technical support.
,.(o)_),.,,(o)_)--o-)_),..,
theblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks but thats not the direction I'm trying to go in.
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Instrument Cluster = 74, need 5 for back light + 1 per each indicator.
T-case + shifter = 194, need 2
HVAC = neo4, need 2, maybe 3
Fog/Defrost/Rear Wiper switch= neo3, need one per switch + one more if you change the indicator on the switch too
Map Lights = 921, need 1 each
Front/Rear Dome Light = RL4410 aka 561, need 1 each (you could also use a PCB style LED assembly, many options for this)

I bought mine from superbrightleds.com, I've been very pleased with them so far. Everything's done in red except for the dome lights.

EDIT: The fog/defrost/rear wipers switches take one neo4 each for the backlight, and a neo3 each for the indicator light.

Last edited by chriskeenan; 01-31-2011 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Fixed Bad Info
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you very much for this information. I'm just going to order my lights from superbrightLEDs.com I have a two door so my dome light uses a different bulb then the Festoon. No worries I'll figure that out. I was wondering which 74's you went with? I'm looking at the 74-xHP3's. I also have a question about which 194's you ordered? I'm thinking about the 360's so I can get even light distribution on my T-Case and Shifter. Thanks for the help
Unread 01-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used the 74-xHP3's, they work great, nice even light distribution.

The 194 for the shifters i used the WLED-xHP5's, they are slightly larger in diameter than the stock bulbs so you'll have to drill the hole out a little, maybe 1 or 2/32inch larger, but they also work great.

From my domes I actually used a G4 back pin (G4b-xHP10-d) and soldered wires to the pins to wire it in, it was ~10$ cheaper than the universal PCB dome kit, and its plenty bright enough.
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to be a pest but do the 74s use the existing bulb base on my Jeep? It looks like they dont come with the plastic base?
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not a problem, the 74 use the stock bases. Just pull out the old bulbs, insert the LED's and reinstall. It may take a few tries to get them all in the right way, the LED's are polarized and will only light if installed in the right direction but will fit in the bases in either direction. If they don't light on the first try pull it out and turn it 180 degrees in the base and reinstall.
Unread 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Chris, You have been a huge help. I'll post some pics when I get mine done. I went with a blue cluster, blue TC and Shifter, and red HVAC. Cool White PCB
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a tip.

Don't put an LED in the brights indicator. Mine is TOO bright and shines right in my eyes when I'm driving at night with the brights on. I'm going to be pulling my cluster and just putting a regular bulb in there.
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
trevsbmw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for that tip. I originally was going to put lights in the high beams and blinkers but decided against it. Sound like I made the right decision.
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

not to hop onto revs thread but, the 74, do all the 74's fit, like the 74-x...74-xhp3, do they all fit in the instrument cluster just emit different kind of light? thanks
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanker67 View Post
not to hop onto revs thread but, the 74, do all the 74's fit, like the 74-x...74-xhp3, do they all fit in the instrument cluster just emit different kind of light? thanks
Yes, they all fit the same, the difference is the number of LED on them and the beam pattern. The 74-x and 74-xHP both have one LED and are 100 degree and 120 degree beams, the 74-xHP3 has 3 LED's and is a 360 degree beam.
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ah thanks! so i assume the 74-xHP3 is the brightest and widest? sounds like i may get me a few and tinker around with it a bit! my radio emits red but i dont want all red interior lights ill mess around with it!
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

okay 1 more question, i have a jeepcherokee sport so i have all the gauges and whatnot, how many bulbs would i need for all the gauges, speedo,oil,temp,gas,tach,volts all that? i saw up there it said 5 plus indicators? indicators mean highbeams and blinks or ?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.