Least expensive scan tool option for ABS brake Bleed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Least expensive scan tool option for ABS brake Bleed?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
electriczipper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Least expensive scan tool option for ABS brake Bleed?

Hello, Now that I know that I should use a scan tool in the brake bleeding process of an ABS equipped XJ, what would be the least expensive scan tool option that'll get-R-done?
Thank you,
EZ

Without a runoff vote after the general election we will FOREVER be RULED by Pachyderms and J**k*sses, and they make sure it stays that way. Remember how they handled Perot. Runoff vote or not, the corrupted will still rule..... For now ;).

96 Cherokee classic, AW4 CT, Up country suspension, ABS, 235 75 R15 on factory alloy wheels.
electriczipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i don't have ABS, so i've never had to do it, but auto zone rents out their scanners for free. i would imagine that would do the job.
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
electriczipper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Will it get-R-done? Does the break bleed need more than just something that reads codes? I'm unfamiliar with scan tools and what i've read about this(I need to read up more)so far is that what you find at auto parts stores are just basic code readers.
Without a runoff vote after the general election we will FOREVER be RULED by Pachyderms and J**k*sses, and they make sure it stays that way. Remember how they handled Perot. Runoff vote or not, the corrupted will still rule..... For now ;).

96 Cherokee classic, AW4 CT, Up country suspension, ABS, 235 75 R15 on factory alloy wheels.
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i think the only reason you would need to use the scanner would be to cycle the pumps if you got air in the ABS module. why do you need to bleed the brakes? if you bleed it out of the bleeder valves and don't let any air into the system upstream, you should be fine. just make sure no air enters thougth the master cylinder. i'm not sure if the tool that auto zone rents out is capable of cycling the abs pumps. you could call them and ask them.
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
electriczipper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you, I'll find out.

Unread 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
electriczipper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The bleed is necessary after rear axle assembly change, also replaced front brake calipers.

Unread 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ok, i'm trying to follow this since you now have several threads going on the same basic thing. the consesus seems to be that an OBDII scan tool won't cut it.

seems the best advice would be to take it to the dealer and have them bleed the brakes. they will certaily have access to the scan tool that is required. it's not worth chancing it and having air trapped in the system somewhere.
Unread 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
electriczipper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea the multiple thread thing. I tried to avoid it, and will by only continuing to respond to this one. I may have to go to a shop.

Unread 02-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You need the DRB tool to do the brakes. It is a dealer only tool, and from what I understand you can ruin your ABS setup if you don't use it so have the dealer do the job. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
mike4140

DBR Scan TOOl

I have the exact same problem..been trying to bleed my cherokee for two weeks....This is a planned rip off by chrysler..they seem to be the only place that has this $10, 000. dollar machine...I did find used ones on ebay for $5k...what a crock...just to bleed brakes...bottom line is that chrysler designed this into the cars so we cant bleed them...forcing us into their shop so they can charge big bucks (plus a tow bill) I REFUSE to get ripped...some how I will bypass my ABS with brake hoses or adapters so I can bleed it...Fed up in Florida
mike4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't blame Chrysler for your lack of research. When servicing the 1997-2001 ABS brakes, or swapping axles, you depress the brake pedal and then hold it depressed with a block of wood. Depressing and blocking the brake pedal shuts all the ABS valves and no air enters the ABS system while you have the brake lines open. After your brake service or axle swap you remove the block of wood and bleed the brakes normally.

We usually allow threads that were last posted to in Feb of 2009 to stay in the archives.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #12
crazyjeep
1975 CJ5 

i haven't had the problem your having. or don't understand whats going on. i did rear brake lines and one front on both my 96 and 98 when i did the lifts. i let them gravity bleed first then bled them with no problem? am i missing something?
crazyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeep View Post
i haven't had the problem your having. or don't understand whats going on. i did rear brake lines and one front on both my 96 and 98 when i did the lifts. i let them gravity bleed first then bled them with no problem? am i missing something?
this is what I did too
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
mmmjboner

Find a dirt road or some snow and fire up the ABS a few times.
mmmjboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you get air into the 1997-2001 ABS system the only way to bleed the ABS pump is with a DRB-III scan tool the dealership has. Allowing air into the ABS pump can destroy the pump and ABS system repairs are extremely expensive.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.