Leaky Injector - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Leaky Injector

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Leaky Injector

I suspect I have a leaky injector. I am basing this on the fact that up until the last week or so, I had to do the flip the key trick to pressurized the fuel system for it to start. Also, the longer the Jeep sits since the last time it was run, the harder it is to start. If it's only off for afew minutes, it starts with no problems. At the time I assumed it was the check valve in the gas tank.

For the past week, it's been taking more key flips to get the jeep started & there's been a longer crank time. When it starts, it runs rough for about 30 seconds like it's flooded.

I've got a 2nd set of injectors in my parts XJ and a new set of felpro injector o rings. I plan to start the Jeep an use a set of vice grips on the gas line to prevent fuel from leaking back into the tank to test if it's leaking from an injector. There doesn't appear any external leaking.

My question is how to I diagnose which injector is bad if it is leaking from an injector?

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

with the engine running look real close at each injector, you will see tiny bubbles and fuel seeping out. But you should smell it if its leaking. I had a bad injector and it barely leaked but you could smell it 10 feet away.
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hey man....did you check your cps?....do you smell gas around the injectors when running/giving gas?....if leaking, it may be just bad o-rings.....but should replace all o-rings while at it!.....make sure to dab some oil on the o-rings before so they don't rip..... good luck!
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbad View Post
hey man....did you check your cps?....do you smell gas around the injectors when running/giving gas?....if leaking, it may be just bad o-rings.....but should replace all o-rings while at it!.....make sure to dab some oil on the o-rings before so they don't rip..... good luck!
I had thought about the CPS, but it's only when it's overnight cold. Plus, the jeep has no problem cranking, it just doesn't fire.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
kbad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

okay then....if no leaks at injectors.... then how about the iac, is it gunked up?...... and how's your whole fuel system? from tank to injectors what is new/old? specifically, is your fuel tank stock?....how about the vacuum system, any leaks or gunked up lines?.....specifically, the 'egr' solenoid?....
kbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
brevard95
1995 XJ Cherokee 

just pull out fuel rail with injectors attached, turn key on to pressurize, look for leaky injector. I guess its possible to only leak when hot, but I kinda doubt it. How fast does rail loose pressure on cold engine if you key on, no start engine, and key off. I would guess, don't loose more than 5 lbs in 5 min.
brevard95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
wrangler1988
1997 TJ Wrangler 

did u ever resolve this? im having the same issue.
wrangler1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fuel injector , fuel leak , injector leak , leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.