leaks, leaks, leaks! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > leaks, leaks, leaks!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
airman401
1994 ZJ 

leaks, leaks, leaks!

91 Cherokee 4.0

I have had my XJ for about a month now and am slowly working out all the leaks. I am down to what seems to be either one big or multiple small oil leaks! I just replaced the valve cover gasket and the the plug gasket with a fresh change.

What are the most common sources of oil leaks in post 200k XJs? Where should I start looking before I start pulling things apart?

My oil pressure always just sits at 20. Almost regardless of rpm.

Any help would be awesome!

airman401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Valve cover gasket (you already did this), oil-filter adaptor O-rings, and oil pressure sending unit are the most common sources of leaks. Front/Rear-main seal and oil-pan gaskets can leak but the above are more common.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

RMS leaks are pretty common on the 4.0s. Not quite as bad as the AMC manufactured 6 cyls though.
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Here's the way for YOU to diagnose YOUR Jeep yourself without any guesswork:

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "***** flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
airman401
1994 ZJ 

Well said. At the moment it is very hard to diagnose the source due to layers of burnt on oil and grime.

Is there a "best" way to eliminate the grime to aid my process a little?
airman401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Floreancig_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can mask off electrical connections(cap rotor and fuse box etc) get some good engine degreaser and use it.. Diagnose directly after kts dry and starts to leak, you can go to a "uwash" and get the pressure washer under the vehicle as much as you can to help clean whats there
Floreancig_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.