Leaking Antifreeze - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Leaking Antifreeze

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
cws1991
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Leaking Antifreeze

ok so i've been having problems with my 1996 jeep cherokee xj country. its 4x4, 6 cyl, 4.0L, automatic.

it has been leaking antifreeze. we didnt know why. we replaced the radiator hose that it was originally leaking from. it was fine for a little, then it leaked again.

we then replaced the water pump and installed a new thermostat. that seemed to work for a few weeks.

then it leaked again and was overheating. so we replaced the loose fan clutch. and that worked for about a week

now its leaking again! and im having a problem that i can't crank it unless i have the a/c off, and then turn it on once the car has started. if i have the switch in the off position, it starts normally. but it the a/c norm position, it's very sluggish and rarely starts. this problem is very new.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

cws1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So its the hose that leaks? If this is a continuous problem you might have a cracked radiator where the hose slides over the end piece. The starting thing is beyond me though.
Unread 06-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's probably the radiator that is leaking. They tend to crap out near the 180k mile mark.
Unread 06-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
cws1991
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbeebe View Post
So its the hose that leaks? If this is a continuous problem you might have a cracked radiator where the hose slides over the end piece. The starting thing is beyond me though.
well the thing i forgot to mention was that everytime we take the cap off to try and top it off, the antifreeze is full to the top. so did we put too much, and it's jus leveling out? or what?
cws1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ahhhh! First off you have a closed system. You should not add antifreeze to the radiator. The reservior bottle is where you should check the level and add any antifreeze as needed. Look on the side of the reservior bottle for the hot and cold levels. Fill the bottle only to the cold level when the engines been off for awhile. The way this system works is like a siphon. When the engine gets hot and the coolant expands, the overflow should go into the bottle raising the level to the hot mark (or close to it). When you engine cools off, the coolant contracts and pulls coolant from the bottle and keeps the system free of air and always at the correct level. You may want to check your overflow hose to make sure its not clogged. This will cause a leak because the coolant will bleed out around the cap. Just disconnect the hose at the radiator cap neck and blow into it. You should see bubbles in the reservior bottle. If not, disconnect the hose and I'd just replace it with another from an autoparts store. Take the old one with you to make sure you get the right length and size.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.