Leak from windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Leak from windshield

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 04-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Leak from windshield

Yeah, Yeah, I know another thread about the windshield leaking. I get it. They leak, But what I have not found is how to get the trim off around the windshield so that I can fix the problem, I hate to screw that trim up and try to find a replacement for it. I have no clue what it takes to pull that off. Once its off, I know I can fix the problem easy.
Thanks in advance

ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Out of all the XJs I save from going to the scrapper each year I have had 2 that the windshields needed replaced. Because I do not do any kind of body work or wind shield replacement I take these to people who are in the business. I did watch one removal and install and they cut the rubber stripping out with a special knife. It might be worth the cash to you to use a glass replacement company to do the work. My observation was that it would be pretty hard to do without removing the rubber seal. They also use a sealant that is not readily available at hardware stores. When I worked at a RV repair shop we carried that in stock for sealing windows back up after their removal which is much easier than wind shield removal. You might find it at a RV dealer,keep in mind that it is a very messy sticky product that will quickly dry onto your paint if to much of it is used.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I should have said that it is the chrome trim I want to get out of the way. I know about the sealant under the glass, I am pretty sure that there is a leak in that that I can repair, But I am not going to pay some jag some $180 to pull that off and put some of his RTV sealant on it. If I can do that instead.
If I can't, then I am stuck paying the price. But I will fight that as along as I can.
Thanks again
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The metal trim only covers up the rubber seal. I wish you luck at trying to pull the edges of the seal up enough to get a good seal. BTW I get entire new glass installed for 180$ but that is a friend that is in the business.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So no one knows how to remove the chrome trim around the windshield?
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad-man View Post
So no one knows how to remove the chrome trim around the windshield?
Most have a chrome clip that covers the ends of the trim. I don't know if that is the same as yours. If it is pop the clip off and with a thin blade work an end free and carefully work the trim free.
Good luck you're going to need it.
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well since this heep is down for a while I decided to get to it on this one. Pretty simple once I started. Since I know I am going to the Junkyard this weekend I said the hell with it and pulled real hard on the trim on the drivers side. Once I was able to get a look at the clip, It was very easy to pop the trim off the side and then the top where the leak is. Once I had it off, I cut off the extra sealant that is there around the windshield so that I would have a good clean surface to deal with. I then washed it and scrubbed it with a brush and washed it again. Then I took the air hose to it to clean it and dry it good. While I was doing this I held my hand on the inside of the windshield and could feel right where the leak started and stopped. I was expecting a small spot, but it was about 4" long. Then I installed some RTV sealant that I have for other stuff. But I am sure will work. Pushed it in with a Popsicle stick and popped the trim back on. Its not dry yet, But I am sure that it is fixed!!
Here are some pictures of it.
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well the forum says the pics are to large to post. Will have to deal with this later.
Anyone know how I can learn to make a write up?? One that is text then a pic and more text explaining the pic then another pic and so on?
I have see a bunch of thread on this subject and would love to be able to clearly show how easy it is to fix. Maybe even help the people that said it can't be done.
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
MikeT3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=ad-man;15320628]Yeah, Yeah, I know another thread about the windshield leaking. I get it. They leak, But what I have not found is how to get the trim off around the windshield so that I can fix the problem, I hate to screw that trim up and try to find a replacement for it. I have no clue what it takes to pull that off. Once its off, I know I can fix the problem easy.
Thanks in advance

A way to locate where the windshield is leaking is to use soap and water then spray it all around the outside trim, then apply about 30 PSI air with a nozzle from the inside around the inside edge of the windshield and watch for bubbles on the out side as you move it along the seam. I just did this and found that about 3" at the bottom on the right hand side was where the leak was at. Then applied a urethane sealent to the area (not RTV) that is leaking from the inside. They recommend to use a urethane sealent and not silicone, silicone will contaminate the area and if there is a problem in the future nothing will stick to that area.
Just a note the out side trim is just that "Trim" and not a seal. The windshield is sealed to the body with urethane at the factory and the trim is put in placed to cover up the edge of the glass to make it look better.
Good Luck
MikeT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

here are the first 2
rsz_windshield_repair_006.jpg   rsz_windshield_repair_007.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

2 more
rsz_windshield_repair_012.jpg   windshield-repair-013.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Job done
windshield-repair-014.jpg   windshield-repair-016.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.