Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

leak front axle

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  88XJSport 
#1 ·
i have a leak coming around where the axle shaft goes into the axle house .. i just got the front right u-joint replaced and now i have a leak. is there a seal or gasket or something that could of happen to let the gear oil come out onto the a-arm? on the right front axle dana30..97 jeep xj

#3 ·
My first question would be, did you drain the differential before pulling the shafts?
If not, it might be oil that leaked from the seals when the shaft was removed.
Top off the diff and keep an eye on it.
If that is not the problem, then, when you reinstalled the shafts you either damaged the seals, or the seals were in bad shape and didn't take the removal installation very well.
To replace the Dana 30 seals you have to remove the differential.
If you have a vacuum disconnect, there is one more seal involved.

#4 ·
jeepsterguy said:
My first question would be, did you drain the differential before pulling the shafts?
If not, it might be oil that leaked from the seals when the shaft was removed.
Top off the diff and keep an eye on it.
If that is not the problem, then, when you reinstalled the shafts you either damaged the seals, or the seals were in bad shape and didn't take the removal installation very well.
To replace the Dana 30 seals you have to remove the differential.
If you have a vacuum disconnect, there is one more seal involved.
Ditto, more than likely it's just some fluid that spilled in the axle tube from when the shafts were out. It should eventually stop. You can speed up the seepage by jacking the opposite side of your rig up overnight or park on a sideways incline.

If the seal/s are bad you won't have to "remove the diff" but you will have to basically tear everything out and have a seal puller. This is best left to a shop that does ring&pinion setup if you don't feel comfortable with pulling the carrier and axle shaft out.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.