Leak after RMS replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Leak after RMS replace

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Leak after RMS replace

I'm just looking for an opinion here.

I read everything I could and followed all the great information on here. I put the gasket on the block with rtv and then mounted the pan. Once I filled it, not 30 secs in it stared leaking back by the transmission, never got to the point of starting it. :

I assumed it was the Oil pan gasket, based on everything I read. I just pulled everything off and the gasket stayed on the block, so I was able to see if it was in the correct place. I actually had to pull it out of that groove that it usually doesn't go into, so it looks like it was seated properly. I'm prepared to try again, but just curious if the immediate oil leak points to anything I could have screwed up with the bearing cap, RMS or if it definitely points to the gasket and I should just give it another shot.

Thanks

4.0 6L, 4.5" RC full leaf pack, coils, and fixed length LCAs, IRO Rear BPEs, Front YJ Brakelines, IRO HnT SYE with Front DS, Cragar Blk D-Window 15x8 4"bs, General Grabber AT2s 33x12.50, Rear Hitch with Warn D-Ring Shackle, Dynomax Super Turbo, HD Offroad Shackle Relocation brackets, IRO Front Hooks, Fenders Trimmed, Stock Flares relocated, floor pans replaced.
ChadsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Checked the oil filter adaptor? a leak from there will look like an rms leak

nvm saw now that you never started it..
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, never started it.

But to answer the question, I replaced the oil filter adapter and the distributor gasket at the same time as the rms. Kind of a shotgun approach to my leaks.

I had to drop the pan to look for another problem I was having, so I decided to do these other things at the same time.
4.0 6L, 4.5" RC full leaf pack, coils, and fixed length LCAs, IRO Rear BPEs, Front YJ Brakelines, IRO HnT SYE with Front DS, Cragar Blk D-Window 15x8 4"bs, General Grabber AT2s 33x12.50, Rear Hitch with Warn D-Ring Shackle, Dynomax Super Turbo, HD Offroad Shackle Relocation brackets, IRO Front Hooks, Fenders Trimmed, Stock Flares relocated, floor pans replaced.
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
jeepster383

Filling with oil and leaks? Valve cover gasket? All oil when filled up rushed to the back of the valve cover and leaked maybe?
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cleaned everything and re installed pan. Leak still there. Dripping slowly off of the starter.

I did find a leak path that is definitely coming from above the pan. ..Probably the valve cover like you said jeepster.

So now I don't know if the pan is leaking or just the valve cover.

I don't know why the valve cover would have been effected by the work I did. Now I guess I'll replace the valve cover gasket and see if the leak goes away.
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It was the valve cover. All back together and seems ok for now.

I'll be watching for leaks.

Thanks
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It helps to degrease an engine (and keep it degreased) so as to find oil leaks early before they become problematic.

I clean my engines on my vehicles with degreaser at least once per year for exactly that reason.

A side benefit is that, with the grease not all over everything, the grease does not accumulate grit, and the grit does not chew up your wrenches and sockets. Yeah, I have worked on enough cars over the past 35 years that I have actually worn out sockets with grit chewing them up.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.