Leaf springs and shocks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Leaf springs and shocks

Couple questions.

I'm replacing the bushings/shackles on the old '96 XJ leaf springs and I'm not sure how to go about disconnecting everything. Since the springs are under load I just don't want to jump into taking things apart on my first go round here. So do I just basically jack the rear end up so the tires are off the ground, then disconnect the front and rear ends of the leafs? At that point if I can get enough access to the ends I'm guessing I won't have to disconnect the springs from the axle.

And on the shocks.. Need to replace all 4 and need advice on a good brand/model. Basically my rigs always on the road and I just want a good quality OEM replacement...not economy and not heavy duty.

--
~~_/) ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-23-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Someone suggested I look into either OME or Bilstein shocks for just good overall ride quality and durability. Only Bilsteins I've found so far are the 4600 series which are considered heavy duty. Is this the functionality level I should be aiming for...heavy duty? I'm only stock and don't really carry much weight around.

And I haven't been able to find OME anywhere just individually for sale. I guess maybe I'm not searching right or something.

--
~~_/) ~~
post #3 of 8 Old 09-23-2017, 05:20 AM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would work on one side at a time, start with the back first those shouldn't take long. The front can be a real PITA since the bolts rust into the bushing sleeves and if you're not replacing the springs you'll have to cut the bolts. The bushings themselves can be a bear to get out and back in also, you'll for sure need a press of some kind.

The shocks you can't really go wrong with KYB or Monroe for OE ride quality and don't be surprised if the upper shock bolts break.

Hers - 2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Mine - 2003 Jeep Wrangler X
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic

post #4 of 8 Old 09-23-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice fester. What's this about cutting the bolts if I'm not replacing the springs? Not sure I follow.

--
~~_/) ~~
post #5 of 8 Old 09-23-2017, 03:40 PM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The bolts through the front leaf spring bushings tend to fuse to the bushing sleeves. If you're not replacing the whole spring pack the only way to get the spring out is to cut the bolt on each side of the bushing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

post #6 of 8 Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Glad I asked about that. cutting those bolts wasn't something I had picked up on in the videos I've seen so far. So I guess do you crank the bolt out as much as you can to get it out of the subframe then cut it at that point?

--
~~_/) ~~
post #7 of 8 Old 09-24-2017, 08:17 AM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
Glad I asked about that. cutting those bolts wasn't something I had picked up on in the videos I've seen so far. So I guess do you crank the bolt out as much as you can to get it out of the subframe then cut it at that point?
Pretty much, you may get lucky and not have a problem. I did one a few years ago that the bolts came right out.

Good news is they aren't terribly expensive, around $10 from the dealer PN#34202118

post #8 of 8 Old 09-25-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Actually, a while back I saw a video where a guy got these bolts out by clamping a vice grip on for leverage then prying with a pickle fork. Vice grip probably marred the threads but the bolts eventually came completely out.

--
~~_/) ~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.