Leaf Springs and Shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Leaf Springs and Shackles

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
ivtaku7

Leaf Springs and Shackles

I came across a post a few days ago about someone doing a 4.5" lift set up, but choosing to go with 3" or 3.5" leafs in the back with a 1" or 1.5" shackle.

For my upcoming build I want to go with a 4.5" lift, but I'm not clear on what the shorter leafs with the shackle will do for you. Does a set up like this give you more flex in your suspension or would you be better off going with a 4.5" lift with the proper 4.5" leafs?

ivtaku7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
ivtaku7

bump
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

In general, ,you should get better flex with a 1" shackle and 3.5" leafs. Leafs are arched more to get more lift. Arching springs more tends to make them stiffer. Stiffer springs tend to flex less.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
chiefbill1959
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have looked around and I think it helps with ride quality. I do know that as you go higher your ride quality somtimes suffers. It also helps in your flex too. Many aftermarket shackles have zerk fittings so you can grease them. This would also help maintaining your ride quality.
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
ivtaku7

Perfect, this is exactly what I needed to know, thanks guys.

Tags
leaf springs , shackles , susepnsion lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.