Leaf Spring Alignment with Shackle '97XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Leaf Spring Alignment with Shackle '97XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Jennpenn
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Leaf Spring Alignment with Shackle '97XJ

I had a lot of creaking sounds coming from the rear of my ’97 XJ. It turned out the shackle on the leaf spring over the tailpipe had completely deteriorated. I got an OEM replacement and installed it this weekend. Of course I encountered just about every nuisance problem covered on every thread but I managed to come up with a new one. When I raised the spring back into position, the eye didn’t line up with the shackle – as you can see by the photo it is off by about 1”. Is there a trick to this? Is it as simple as loosening the U-bolts and knocking the spring over or is there more to it than that and; is this the sign of a larger problem? This was supposed to be the easy part.

leaf-spring-shackleii.jpg

Jennpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
jersey_jim
1994 XJ Cherokee 

What I usually do for this I use a ratchet strap, grab the far side of my hitch and the other hook on the leaf spring and just ratchet it into place with the ubolts a little loose.

I used this method a few weeks back when replacing my leaf spring bushings snd to realign my front axle when doing my control arm bushings

I hope this helps
Unread 09-17-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
Jennpenn
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks JJ. I gave it a halfass attempt last night. I couldn't quite get the angle right with the gas tank in the way so the strap it was just pulling the spring down. But I can see how that would work so I'll give it a go this weekend. Thanks for the help
Jennpenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.