lacking power in fourth gear. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > lacking power in fourth gear.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
xjberto

lacking power in fourth gear.

Hey guys. So I'm not sure if I was always experiencing this problem or if I'm just noticing it. Basically if I'm driving on the highway and I'm cruising in 4th, if I try to accelerate its very hard to get it moving. I also hear what sounds like a metal clinking sound coming from the engine compartment. I only hear it when the car is under stress or load in 4th gear. Any othergear and I don't hear anything and the car accelerates perfectly fine.
Does this sound like normal jeep behavior or do I have issues?

xjberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

auto or manual transmission?
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
xjberto

Auto aw4
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like maybe your experiencing pre ignition or pinging. happens when the fuel mixture is ignited before the spark plug can.

a few things can cause this, timing too advanced, carbon build up in the cylinders causing hot spots or increased compression. try adjusting the timing first, then run some fuel system cleaner in there like seafoam or run some water down the intake. i know the latter sounds weird but its on old school trick to clean carbon out much faster then a fuel additive.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
mollydodger
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

low power

Hi. I have a 98 Cherokee with 168K on the odometer. For the last couple of months I was experiencing the same loss of power. I was also having starting issues where the engine would crank but not start on the first try. Always started on the second try. Finally, day before yesterday it would not start at all. The fuel pump went out. I suspect that it was gradually going bad causing the lack of power, poor idle and hard starting. After installing the new pump the power is back, idle is smooth and it starts first time every time. What a difference!! Maybe you are having similar symptoms?
mollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
xjberto

Sounds like my problem. Getting harder to start. Sometimes just cranks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.