Knocking Sound ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Knocking Sound ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
DesertOne
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Knocking Sound ?

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0L, 6cyl which has 157k on it. Lately I have been hearing a knocking sound in the engine. It almost sounds like to me that it is the air/gas mixture not right being right. Not sure, just a guess. I had thought about changing the Knock sensor, but low and behold, I can not find any anywhere. Does the knock sensor sound like the right direction on this?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Ted W
Phoenix, AZ

DesertOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosan1
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0L, 6cyl which has 157k on it. Lately I have been hearing a knocking sound in the engine. It almost sounds like to me that it is the air/gas mixture not right being right. Not sure, just a guess. I had thought about changing the Knock sensor, but low and behold, I can not find any anywhere. Does the knock sensor sound like the right direction on this?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Ted W
Phoenix, AZ
Post Renix machines don't have a knock sensor.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bad air/fuel mixture is usually a ping kind of noise. Is the knock coming from the top or bottom end of the engine?

Almost every 4.0 I have heard (including mine) knocks and ticks noticably.

Common causes are sticking lifters, and cracked exhaust manifolds. But it can be more serious like a rod knock, but hopefully not.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:33 PM   #4
XJ95mlake
1995 XJ Cherokee 

my 4.0L HO does not knock or ping or anything. It's as quite as a church mouse. That is, until i hammer the pedal and get the 4.0 HO roar.... sweet.
Unread 03-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ95mlake
my 4.0L HO does not knock or ping or anything. It's as quite as a church mouse. That is, until i hammer the pedal and get the 4.0 HO roar.... sweet.
Your lucky, haha. How many miles are on it?

And yes, the imfamous 4.0 roar is great. It really is the only engine that sounds like it does.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
92laredo

if it's coming from the bottom end...check the torque converter bolts. mine did the same knock and 3 of the 4 bolts were almost all the way out. just remove the shield and you'll see the bolts
92laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
formatt
2009 JK Wrangler 

possible timing chain slap?... The teeth wear down and it gets sloppy in there. is it kind of intermitant?

formatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
mjaybird65
2001 XJ Cherokee 

mine has the pinging (not bad, but noticeable), but only on low rpm acceleration. typically in highest gear with slight acceleration - not enough to force a downshift... if this is the result of bad air/fuel mixture, what's the best way to figure out how to even this out? or possible remedies?

thanks
Unread 04-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
XJAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaybird65
mine has the pinging (not bad, but noticeable), but only on low rpm acceleration. typically in highest gear with slight acceleration - not enough to force a downshift... if this is the result of bad air/fuel mixture, what's the best way to figure out how to even this out? or possible remedies?

thanks
Do you run 87 octane gas? The pinging would go away if you ran mid-grade or even High-test but thats getting pretty expensive now. Even out my way its $2.91 a gallon for high-test. The pinging you hear is called pre-ignition detonation. This happens when the motor has reached normal operating temperature and the combustion temperatures has reached a point were the exhaust that is exiting at the same time the next intake charge is comming in and the exhaust is so hot that it violently ignites the incomming air/fuel mixture(s) and if you comtinue to drive with really heavy pinging your motor is going to be toast. The result of the detonation is a spike in combustion temperatures resulting in fried piston(s) or valves. You can usually tell the signs of detonation even if you can't hear it is when you take the spark plugs out, the center electrode will be melted or even the little hook that lets the spark jump will be melted. Good Luck.......!!
XJAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
gaa

I have an 89 xj and it started witha knocking sound a few months ago. It only does it when it's warming up though. Once it reached operating temp it sounds normal.
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
mjaybird65
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJAce
Do you run 87 octane gas? The pinging would go away if you ran mid-grade or even High-test but thats getting pretty expensive now. Even out my way its $2.91 a gallon for high-test. The pinging you hear is called pre-ignition detonation. This happens when the motor has reached normal operating temperature and the combustion temperatures has reached a point were the exhaust that is exiting at the same time the next intake charge is comming in and the exhaust is so hot that it violently ignites the incomming air/fuel mixture(s) and if you comtinue to drive with really heavy pinging your motor is going to be toast. The result of the detonation is a spike in combustion temperatures resulting in fried piston(s) or valves. You can usually tell the signs of detonation even if you can't hear it is when you take the spark plugs out, the center electrode will be melted or even the little hook that lets the spark jump will be melted. Good Luck.......!!
thanks for the info... maybe I'll try to use higher octane until they drop the winter mix and see if that helps. probably time for a tune-up too (at least a check of the plugs)...
Unread 04-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaybird65
mine has the pinging (not bad, but noticeable), but only on low rpm acceleration.

thanks
2000 and 2001's tend to wear out plugs sooner that older XJ's because of the distibutor-less ignition. New plugs are cheap and help with the gas mileage. Pinging or detonation can also be caused by carbon deposits in the combustion chamber or on the valves. Try a tank or two of gas with some mid price fuel injector cleaner added to it. Sea Foam cleaner works well for me.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
It really is the only engine that sounds like it does.
Man you took the words right out of my mouth. Ive been saying that for years! And its true! I love 4.0's
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
MoochsXJ
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92laredo
if it's coming from the bottom end...check the torque converter bolts. mine did the same knock and 3 of the 4 bolts were almost all the way out. just remove the shield and you'll see the bolts

I had the same problem but it wasn't the bolts, turned out the flexplate(flywheel) was pretty much shattered and barely hanging in there. She's quieter, but so was I after spending $400 to get it fixed.

Misc. Jeep stuff for sale/free
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664793
MoochsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ95mlake
My 93 has no muffler and an open intake. I love the sounds it makes when I get on it. It just sounds mad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.