key wont turn in ignition, 93xj. problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > key wont turn in ignition, 93xj. problems

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
bughunter

key wont turn in ignition, 93xj. problems

ran 3 searches didnt come up with anything. my friend has a 93 cherokee. automatic. his key goes in and out of the ignition, but will not turn to start, sometimes will move rearwards to acc., but not often. me being an idiot, said i can fix it. pulled the steering wheel off, unscrewed one screw and now i'm stuck. can not find any info on how to remove the ignition cylinder. its bad, needs a new one, i know that much. can not figure out for the life of me how to get to it to pull the cylinder out to install the new one.

doesnt have an airbag, it is tilt. when i pulled my 98's apart it was completely different, stumped on this one. any help would be amazing. sure someone has a write up of it, but damned if i can find it. googled, yahoo'd, msn'd, jeepforum'd...nothing i can find.

bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Most likely, the problem is the ignition/start switch, not the lock cylinder. The switch is on the top of the steering column, under the dash board.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.