Keep blowing 60 amp Maxi Fuse, Alternator Output - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Keep blowing 60 amp Maxi Fuse, Alternator Output

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 06-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
garand555

Keep blowing 60 amp Maxi Fuse, Alternator Output

I noticed this afternoon that the the voltage gauge was reading way low. Before yanking the alternator off, I decided to check the Alternator Output fuse in the power distribution box under the hood, and it had popped. So I went up and picked up a new one, put it in and it lasted, oh, about 5 minutes. The other thing is that, before the new fuse popped, the voltage guage would change with the RPMs, which it never did before.

I put the multimeter on the battery and it read 11.8V, so I'm thinking that a cell went bad and that's causing a much higher current draw than it should, and will get it checked out tomorrow. It could be that the fuse had popped a while back and I'm just now noticing it, but I find that doubtful as I pay attention to all of the guages on a regular basis.

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

garand555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
jeepster383

Ur alternator could have went or u have a short. Check the wire going from batt to alt.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
garand555

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster383 View Post
Ur alternator could have went or u have a short. Check the wire going from batt to alt.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. The battery is still under warrantee and it's easy.
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
garand555

Well, I decided to check the voltage that the alternator was putting out. 19V . I think that explains why the fuse was blown.
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand555
Well, I decided to check the voltage that the alternator was putting out. 19V . I think that explains why the fuse was blown.
Dang. At least u figured it out.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
garand555

Had the alternator tested. It's fine. Went through and I can't find any bad connections. When I checked the voltage, the battery was connected, so if there was a short in the battery screwing things up, it would have showed up. I'm hoping it's not the voltage regulator.
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
garand555

Aaaand the battery just checked out as good. Either there's a loose connection that I missed that's screwing with the voltage regulator, or it's the voltage regulator. If that's the case, it's either junkyard diving, or figure out wtf this is about:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...tage+regulator

Because it comes up as being for a 92 XJ, even though I thought the regulator was integrated into the ECM. I think I'll go double check all of the wiring.
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
garand555

I think it's fixed. I checked several connections, and since the alternator was out and was the original alternator, I replaced it with a 120 amp one anyway. (Jeep's gotta be reliable for my hunt in December ) Knowing my luck, I'd put it back in and it'd go bad within a month and I'd have to yank it off again. Which would make me really, really grumpy. I replaced the terminals on the battery cables as they looked kind of trashed. After consulting with the internet, I found some people who said that poor grounds and poor connections to the battery can cause the voltage regulator to go a little bit screwy when the battery starts to get low, and sometimes the voltage will get bumped up to 19v. I guess I'll know for sure in a few days if it's fixed.

I really want to punch the engineer who decided to put the alternator below the AC compressor and kick the engineer who set up the tensioner system for the serpentine belt. I can change the alternator on my dad's powerstroke in 15 minutes flat, but noooooo. When an engineer does a really good job, you don't even know that they exist. When they make maintenance a PITA, you want to go to their house with a mob that is wielding torches and pitchforks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.