Keep blowing 60 amp Maxi Fuse, Alternator Output - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Keep blowing 60 amp Maxi Fuse, Alternator Output

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
garand555

Keep blowing 60 amp Maxi Fuse, Alternator Output

I noticed this afternoon that the the voltage gauge was reading way low. Before yanking the alternator off, I decided to check the Alternator Output fuse in the power distribution box under the hood, and it had popped. So I went up and picked up a new one, put it in and it lasted, oh, about 5 minutes. The other thing is that, before the new fuse popped, the voltage guage would change with the RPMs, which it never did before.

I put the multimeter on the battery and it read 11.8V, so I'm thinking that a cell went bad and that's causing a much higher current draw than it should, and will get it checked out tomorrow. It could be that the fuse had popped a while back and I'm just now noticing it, but I find that doubtful as I pay attention to all of the guages on a regular basis.

Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

garand555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
jeepster383

Ur alternator could have went or u have a short. Check the wire going from batt to alt.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
garand555

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster383 View Post
Ur alternator could have went or u have a short. Check the wire going from batt to alt.
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. The battery is still under warrantee and it's easy.
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
garand555

Well, I decided to check the voltage that the alternator was putting out. 19V . I think that explains why the fuse was blown.
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand555
Well, I decided to check the voltage that the alternator was putting out. 19V . I think that explains why the fuse was blown.
Dang. At least u figured it out.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
garand555

Had the alternator tested. It's fine. Went through and I can't find any bad connections. When I checked the voltage, the battery was connected, so if there was a short in the battery screwing things up, it would have showed up. I'm hoping it's not the voltage regulator.
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
garand555

Aaaand the battery just checked out as good. Either there's a loose connection that I missed that's screwing with the voltage regulator, or it's the voltage regulator. If that's the case, it's either junkyard diving, or figure out wtf this is about:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...tage+regulator

Because it comes up as being for a 92 XJ, even though I thought the regulator was integrated into the ECM. I think I'll go double check all of the wiring.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
garand555

I think it's fixed. I checked several connections, and since the alternator was out and was the original alternator, I replaced it with a 120 amp one anyway. (Jeep's gotta be reliable for my hunt in December ) Knowing my luck, I'd put it back in and it'd go bad within a month and I'd have to yank it off again. Which would make me really, really grumpy. I replaced the terminals on the battery cables as they looked kind of trashed. After consulting with the internet, I found some people who said that poor grounds and poor connections to the battery can cause the voltage regulator to go a little bit screwy when the battery starts to get low, and sometimes the voltage will get bumped up to 19v. I guess I'll know for sure in a few days if it's fixed.

I really want to punch the engineer who decided to put the alternator below the AC compressor and kick the engineer who set up the tensioner system for the serpentine belt. I can change the alternator on my dad's powerstroke in 15 minutes flat, but noooooo. When an engineer does a really good job, you don't even know that they exist. When they make maintenance a PITA, you want to go to their house with a mob that is wielding torches and pitchforks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.