K+N cone setup for non-HO XJs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > K+N cone setup for non-HO XJs

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-25-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

K+N cone setup for non-HO XJs

I have the cone filter setup on my 89 XJ with a $5 filter off ebay, and decided Im going to go K+N. They make 2 cone sizes, a 9 inch one, and a smaller length one, I think it is 6 or 7 inches. Anyone have the 9 incher on their XJ, and like it? What about the smaller K+N?

Also, any of you guys have the precharger cover for the filter, and think it makes a difference?

This is what I have now, I am guessing Ill have to point the tube more towards the center to fit the 9 incher in:

Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
XJeepness

I have the 6 inch one i think i know its not 9 inches But anyway it works well I got a slip on pre-filter/dust cover to keep out even more But i deff felt more Hp with the mod
Unread 08-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
VTJeep11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkingfish
I have the cone filter setup on my 89 XJ with a $5 filter off ebay, and decided Im going to go K+N. They make 2 cone sizes, a 9 inch one, and a smaller length one, I think it is 6 or 7 inches. Anyone have the 9 incher on their XJ, and like it? What about the smaller K+N?

Also, any of you guys have the precharger cover for the filter, and think it makes a difference?

This is what I have now, I am guessing Ill have to point the tube more towards the center to fit the 9 incher in:
i bought a 9" with a precharger, the precharger is great if you live on a dirt road like i do. the only problem with mine is that the filter fits in there snugg, it barely fits at all. if i did it over again i'd get the 7". there's not much difference anyway. i have mine on a tube i bought from xj-armor.com i don't know if you did the same thing or went through rustys.
panasonic deck
2 memphis 5,1/4 speakers
2 10" subs in the back
K&N cone intake

future mods
Exhaust from cat back
2" or 3" lift, and tires
brush guard with winch and lights
snorkel
and more, and more, and more.......
VTJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #4
XJeepness

lol no for once i did not buy a rustys part!! lol I have the xj-armor one to lol!! hummm maybe i should get thr rustys one!!lol
Unread 08-25-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
JVracer04

i just bought a 9" one from autozone... they dont carry the part on the shelves so i had to order it

free shipping

and i still havent got it so i havnt put it in... but i tell u how it is as soon as i get it
Unread 08-26-2004, 02:04 AM   #6
madrabbitt

A good rule of thumb on if you need the precharger jacket, is look at the interior after you drive. If theres a fine layer of dust on surfaces, (and you had your windows closed) GET the prefilter. If its small enough to make it thru the a/c filter, its small enough to go thru the k&n

That being said, i live in a desert. I wheel in a desert. I have a K&N panel filter. I keep it WELL oiled. I inspect it after every wheeling run, and usually spritz a little oil on it. I tap it out and re-oil it every oil change (5k miles) and i clean it every 2nd oil change (10k miles)

If i switch to a cone filter like i intend on doing, i will DEFINTLY get the prefilter jacket.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2004, 03:41 AM   #7
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

Yeah, the tube is an xj-armor one. I probably would just need to adjust the tube by rotating the nut so the filter faces more towards the headlight to get the 9 incher in. I guess Ill have to see what I can do, and decide from there - I may get the 6 incher, who knows.
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
jrskblx125

i have the rustys air tube and the 9 inch cone filter... it LOOKS sweet lol and it sounds sweet... u can definitely feel a little more pickup. but my carpet gets stuck up under the gas pedal, so im like WHY CANT I GO PAST 2500 rpms!!!! then i move the carpet and my pick ups back to normal... but yeah u can definitely feel a difference.
4.5" RUSTYS coils, 3" BDS leaf packs+ 1.25" RE Shackle
Dunlop Mud Rovers... 33x12.5s on AR-767s FINALLY
UMASS LOWELL '09 ... mechanical engineering
jrskblx125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.