just wont start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > just wont start.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
tboTERROR
1999 XJ Cherokee 

just wont start.

Hey all,
I am having a very frustrating issue. I bought my jeep a few months ago and it started having a problem starting. I searched on here for like issues and found a few possible fixes.

So my issue is that when I turn the key it will not start. The battery tested fine and all the lights, a/v, etc come on. The starter works (replaced last month). The fuel filter and pump are good (tested 2 days ago). I have cleaned the IAC, the carb, and the fuel injecters. After i cleaned the fuel injecters it seemed to run fine. I drove it today around town running errands and when I went to get gas it did not start back up. I had to have it towed back to my place.

Also, my lights don't dim when I turn the key to start it up...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

tboTERROR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

NSS, neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral and wiggling the shifter while trying to start it. also Google "jeep NSS cleaning", they get full of junk and don't work, causes problems like you describe.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
NSS, neutral safety switch. Try starting it in neutral and wiggling the shifter while trying to start it. also Google "jeep NSS cleaning", they get full of junk and don't work, causes problems like you describe.
X2. Possibly one of the easiest tests to perform is to locate the NSS connector and bypass the switch, (be sure to have your electrical wiring diagram handy) by backprobing the connector with a paperclip, then try to turn it over. If it starts then you know for sure that the NSS is the issue.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
tboTERROR
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So, I tried today to just put it in nuetral to start it and it starts right up each time. It still does not start in Park. I do not have a wiring diagram for this vehicle yet so I have not been able to do the bypass check. I would say it is pretty safe to say that the NSS is the issue with that simple test I did.

Would it be a safe bet to just replace the NSS or should I try out more tests before proceeding?
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboTERROR View Post
So, I tried today to just put it in nuetral to start it and it starts right up each time. It still does not start in Park. I do not have a wiring diagram for this vehicle yet so I have not been able to do the bypass check. I would say it is pretty safe to say that the NSS is the issue with that simple test I did.

Would it be a safe bet to just replace the NSS or should I try out more tests before proceeding?
Pretty sure that it's the issue. try cleaning it first, new NSS switches are expensive.
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you do have the Jeep's AW4 Automatic transmission, then take a look at these articles from JP Magazine and from Cherokee-Jeep.com. They will tell you how to clean and service your NSS.

A foot note, I have transplanted a 1988 XJ AW4 into my 1988 YJ a couple years ago, and one of the issues that I had was that my Jeep wasn't starting because the NSS was failing. I had made the decision to clean it before I replaced it. Fortunately for me a little cleaning service saved me a bunch of money over the cost of a new NSS. And to boot, it was so simple to work on.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...safety_switch/

Here is another article from the Cherokee-Jeep.com website.

http://www.cherokee-jeep.com/1-2swremov.htm

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
tboTERROR
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I cannot get the NSS off. I have cut all zip ties, removed the mounting bolt, removed the nut, and I can't get it to slide off. I tried following a tutorial online where the guy uses the nut and a flat head to pry it off. When I tried that it started to strip the threads on the switch so I just went ahead and took the nut completely off.

Any ideas on how to remove it now?
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I cannot get the NSS off. I have cut all zip ties, removed the mounting bolt, removed the nut, and I can't get it to slide off. I tried following a tutorial online where the guy uses the nut and a flat head to pry it off. When I tried that it started to strip the threads on the switch so I just went ahead and took the nut completely off.

lots of penetrating oil. its not the easiest thing to remove, be careful not to break the plastic half of the switch.
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
lots of penetrating oil. its not the easiest thing to remove, be careful not to break the plastic half of the switch.
X2. Soak it down with a good penetrating oil, PB Blaster is one of the best that there is. Let it set for some time, wipe it off, then spray it down with some electrical cleaner, this will break up any residue that is till trapped in the pinch areas, then check for rust on the shaft. If rust is present use a fine grit sand paper or emery cloth to sand it off.

Last edited by remmons; 07-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Added pertinent info.
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
tboTERROR
1999 XJ Cherokee 

would I be able to use WD-40 or should I buy a specific lubricant for this job?
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
would I be able to use WD-40 or should I buy a specific lubricant for this job?
Any penetrating lubricant will work, I am just partial to PB Blaster for my more difficult situations, such as a stuck or frozen bolt or nut. I do have WD-40 as well as liquid wrench, but I favor the PB the most.

Unread 07-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
tboTERROR
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I have been working for two days to get this thing off with pb blaster. Still not moving. I bought a new nut to thread on and use it to pry with... I broke two screwdrivers. Granted they were not very large ones, but still... Are there any techniques that I haven't tried?
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
tboTERROR
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This issue was solved after I got everything off, cleaned, and re-installed
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Good to hear that you got it running!

Tags
not starting , start-up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.