just got a jeep for graduation, having problems. HELP PLEASE. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > just got a jeep for graduation, having problems. HELP PLEASE.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
1998daisy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

just got a jeep for graduation, having problems. HELP PLEASE.

I need some help. Just got a 1998 jeep Cherokee 4.0 auto. The question I have is after the jeep is warmed up it will start to misfire and act like it wants to stall. If it doesn't stall it will rev up to 2000 ramp then drop to normal idle. It has done this several times if anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

1998daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Needs to be posted in the appropriate section.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

First--what kind of Jeep do you have...?

Sounds like it could be a bad sensor. If you're a DIY-er, start with the upstream O2 sensor and unplug it from the wiring harness. If the problems stop, then replace that sensor. If not, plug it back in and try others. Could also be an exhaust leak. Check for cracks in the exhaust manifold (especially common on TJs).
KEH1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
1998daisy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry new to this forum, Its a jeep Cherokee 98 4.0 auto. Sorry the putting it in the wrong forum, which would i go to. I need to fix it ASAP for work. I was sent home early because it was acting up. ):
1998daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like you are describing some sensor issues that occur when the the Jeep switches to closed loop operation.

Test the O2 sensors, they can get old and slow to react. Typical O2 sensor service life is about 100,000-150,000 miles.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.